Blade4
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion G6 won't boot

HP Pavilion G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion G6 model 1b78nr.  I just replaced the CMOS battery but now the machine won't boot.  When the power button is pushed, it's LED flashes white and the LED on the F2 key flashes amber until the battery is removed.  The power button has no effect and there is no display.   Is there a fix for this?  Appreciate any assistance.  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
228 228 19 40
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion G6 won't boot

Hello @Blade4

Thanks for joining the HP Support Forums. 

I read your post about your Pavilion G6-1b78nr not booting after you replaced the CMOS battery and wanted to help. 

Since your system is not starting you may want to begin here and this document should help diagnose where the error is originating from since you have blinking lights. It is possible that the BIOS will need to be restored

You want to ensure you have the CMOS battery installed correctly and that it is secured. The service manual for your product has this information on page 49. 

I hope you get back to me on the outcome of your issue, and if you found any of this information helpful, please click the Thumbs up or Accept as Solution

Thanks!

Please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to simply say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking the post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

Thanks - I work on behalf of HP

Blade4
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion G6 won't boot

Appreciate your proposed solutions.  Unfortunately nothing seems to work but the closest match seems related to a CPU issue.   I've been looking at the Pro 400 G3 desktop as a possible replacement

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
228 228 19 40
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion G6 won't boot

Hi @Blade4

Thank for getting back to me. I understand that you are leaning towards a CPU issue but another quick thing you might want to try is simply removing and reseating the HDD and the Memory. 

Thanks!

Please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to simply say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking the post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

Blade4
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion G6 won't boot

Tried removing/replacing both.  That didn't seem to work.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
228 228 19 40
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion G6 won't boot

Hi @Blade4

Thanks for the update.

You may want to attempt booting the system without the CMOS battery installed, may be able to get into the BIOS. If you weren't having any issues until the battery was installed that could help isolate the issue further. 

You mentioned in an earlier post that you get a blinking light until the battery is removed. Have you tried booting the system on AC power only, with the battery removed?

The situation is really starting to look like a hardware failure of some sort. It is possible that the issue which led you to replace the CMOS battery might be related to the current issue. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation