Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion dv6-2137eo doesn't startup, BIOS error flash code

Pavilion dv6-2137eo
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi, new to forums! I got about 3-4 year old Pavilion dv6-2137eo. I was installing some updates, and then it suddenly stopped working. I got black screen and nothing else. And now, whenever i try to power on it, ok it starts, but then it flashes num and caps lock light 2 times, 2-3 secs and again 2 times. I know it means BIOS failure, but i don't know how to fix it. Anybody please help! Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 359
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @Nuu5kamu1kkun3n,

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums. I wanted to reach out to you and help! I understand that you having an issue with blinking LED's on your HP Pavilion dv6-2137eo Entertainment Notebook PC. 

Please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential connected devices, as these, could cause some issues.

Try to start your Notebook normally after you have disconnected everything. If that does not fix the issue, please continue with troubleshooting. 

The next step would be for you to try to Restore the BIOS. You will see that the document says: 

If the BIOS on your notebook becomes corrupted, such as from a failed BIOS upgrade or damage from a virus, the computer might show any the following symptoms:

• The computer displays the error message BIOS APPLICATION ERROR 501.
  • The computer stops at a black or blank screen and it will not enter any of the Boot Options, such as the BIOS Setup Utility, Hardware Diagnostic Tools, System Recovery screens, etc.
  • The computer does not boot and the Caps Lock or Num Lock LED blinks twice or the computer emits beep codes.
  • The computer turns on, for example, the fan might spin, but there is no video on the internal display or external monitor and it does not boot into the operating system.
If the computer shows any of the previous symptoms and it does not boot up, use this document to restore the BIOS.

After you Restore the BIOS see if you can start the Notebook normally. 

Please let me know if I answered your question by clicking the 'Thumbs up' if the troubleshooting steps in this post resolved the issue for you please click the 'Accept as Solution' button. This will allow other's who have the same issue to find the solution also. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting. 

Have a great day! Smiley Very Happy
EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Nuu5kamu1kkun3n
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! Sorry for not answering, didn't notice email notification.

So, i already did that many times. I also forgot to tell that i took HDD out because i needed it to my other computer, and it has Windows 10 inside it.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 359
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @Nuu5kamu1kkun3n

Which method did you use for the BIOS restore?

You took the Harddrive out of this Pavilion Notebook? 

What harddrive did you replace it with?

Have you tried a different hard drive in the Notebook?

Did you receive an error other than the blinking lights?

Please let me know.

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Nuu5kamu1kkun3n
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

I tried to download BIOS Update from HP Download Center, but i got WinFlash.exe. Then i googled some stuff and found article, which says that try to extract WinFlash.exe with WinRAR or something similar to it. I extracted it and got some files and .exe - programs, and that article says that you need to copy some of those files to USB - stick, and put it into computer and press Win & B while i's starting. That didn't help. When i pressed Win & B, it took a while, then it beeps 4 times and reboots. Now when i do same thing, it beeps 1 time and reboots. That's odd.

Yes, i took hard drive out of it because my other computer hard drive was broken.

What do you mean with "What hard drive did you replace it with?" I'm Finnish, so English is a bit difficult to me.

I've tried to put same hard drive in but nothing happens.

When pressing Win & B, it beeps, as i said.

0 Kudos
Nuu5kamu1kkun3n
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oops, i forgot to mention that my notebook freezed when i was updating it to Windows 10. Then it didn't work anymore.

0 Kudos
Nuu5kamu1kkun3n
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! I think that i'm maybe close to solution. I downloaded HP 3-in-1 USB key, and installed it to my 16GB USB stick. Plugged it into my Pavilion USB port, pressed Windows key + B and powered it on. 5-15 sec and laptop start beeping. It beeps 23 times, and reboots itself. Same thing every time.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation