Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (140 Views)

Problem with BIOS HP Pavilion G6

Product Name: HP Pavilion G6 Prod QC375PA
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi my Notebook developed problems with the keyboard, letters like m, c and the shift key not working. Then boot up started to take a lot of time, now some 20 mins, but it can still boot OK. I am in the process of trying to upgrade the BIOS but I can't get to the BIOS screen (power on with esc held, power on with f2 or f10 continually pressed not working) to get the information that is needed in the upgrade process. What can I do?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (114 Views)

Re: Problem with BIOS HP Pavilion G6

Hi @PaulFeens,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues with some of the keys on the keyboard are not working. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to perform a Hard reset on the notebook?

Did the issue start after an update?

Have you tried connecting an external keyboard?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

First off, we need to establish if the issue is hardware or software related. In order to do this please perform a few steps.Let’s do a hard reset first.

Steps:

• Power down the computer and unplug the charger. Then remove the battery only if it is a removable one.
  • Hold down the power button of the unit for 15 seconds to discharge static electrical charges inside the machine.
  • Replace the battery and reconnect the charger.

Then we need to check in the command prompt outside of windows to see if all the keyboard characters work correctly to isolate the issue correctly to a hardware or software failure.

Steps to do it:

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
  • If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager.

For more details, click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation