Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Could I get a code as well?

Or should I be able to use that same one?

Also, once I enter the admin password incorrectly 3 times to get the code, I have to reboot the machine to be able to enter the pasword again.

Now the code is A [2662DE86]

Will the password still be good? because the code changes each time I do that?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

While it's not a needle in a haystack, the only source I have is the bios code from another ami chip which uses the same algorithm to encrypt the hash, which isn't the easiest thing to work from - going on past experience, it took me several months to successfully reverse the Insyde 'i' prefixed codes.

However, there may be a much quicker option you could try as you mention the notebook is long out of warranty.  Earlier revisions of the ami bios store the checksum in volatile memory - therefore, if you remove the rtc (cmos) battery ( leave the power board connected ), hold down the power button for 60 seconds then leave the machine in this state for a couple of hours before re-assembly, the power on password prompt should be gone.

Let me know if this isn't an option and I'll get back working on the script  :generic:

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Mykol71

Halt codes prefixed with a 'A' are hexadecimal ( ie the code is composed of the numbers 0 - 9 and A - F ) use a different algorithm to encode the hash and at present, there are no generators to resolve this type of code, although it is something I'm working on.

Basically, once you have entered an incorrect password 3 times you will get a 'System Disabled' code - from there, you just have to shutdown the notebook.  Upon booting up again, you will have 3 chances to enter the correct code ( which will be based on the system disabled you received before shutting down ).

After a further set of 3 incorrect guesses, the 'System Disabled' code will be re-calculated and another code in the form A [1234ABCD] will be displayed.

Enter an incorrect password 3 times, make a note of the 'System Disabled' code, then shutdown the notebook.  Post back with this code and I'll reply with some possible unlock codes to try.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the explination. I was worried I was stepping on any help that I did get.

Currently, the code is:

A [24B72A35]

I am setting it aside and not touching it for now. 🙂

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're welcome :generic:

Here are the first 3 codes to try - try each code once only.  If none of them work, post the new 'System Disabled' code and I'll reply with some more tomorrow.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Ok, tried all 3 (once each).

New System disabled code is:

A [8445DF36]

Have a great evening!

I will watch for your reply tomorrow.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Here are a couple of further codes to try based on the halt A [8445DF36]

If the above codes fail, enter a random 3rd code, let me know the new halt and I'll get back to you.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Here is the "System Disabled" code after trying those last 2 numbers:

A [703DD77F]

Thanks for your patience!

HP Recommended

You're welcome :generic:

Here are another 3 codes to try based on the halt A [703DD77F]

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Tried those 3. No luck.

Rebooted, entered bogus 3times and now ready with a "System Disabled" code of:

A [106F3CF6]

Questions:

How much of a needle in a haystack is this?

(I am concerned about waisting too much of your time, or mine for that matter. Although I am in it for the long haul.)

How early on are you in creating a code generator for this situation?

(I ask because I might be able to wait.)

Observation:

You should see me carrying this "special" laptop around with my work one, being very careful to make sure it stays on.

It's just funny.

My support guys would have told me where to stick it because it was out of warranty long ago too. 🙂

Thanks,

mg.

HP Recommended

Hi,

While it's not a needle in a haystack, the only source I have is the bios code from another ami chip which uses the same algorithm to encrypt the hash, which isn't the easiest thing to work from - going on past experience, it took me several months to successfully reverse the Insyde 'i' prefixed codes.

However, there may be a much quicker option you could try as you mention the notebook is long out of warranty.  Earlier revisions of the ami bios store the checksum in volatile memory - therefore, if you remove the rtc (cmos) battery ( leave the power board connected ), hold down the power button for 60 seconds then leave the machine in this state for a couple of hours before re-assembly, the power on password prompt should be gone.

Let me know if this isn't an option and I'll get back working on the script  :generic:

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.