11-27-2013 06:23 PM
I've recently bought the HP ENVY TouchSmart 14-k022tx. I've swapped the 750GB HDD for a Samsung EVO SSD and tried reinstalling Windows 8 onto the SSD. Upon rebooting, I've occasionally experienced the Recovery screen with the error
"The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because of a required file is missing or
I've performed the following steps:
- Remove the RAID for the 24GB mSSD and 750GB HDD in BIOS
- Installed Windows 8 from USB drive. The HDD are not detected by the installer, but I manually load the latest Intel RST drivers. After that, I'm able to proceed with the installation
- Upon successfully installing Win 8, the laptop reboots I get the recovery error.
However, with a cold start, there's no errors and I'm able to boot into Windows. BIOS is able to detect the Samsung SSD and I've tried the following:
- Installing Windows with & with Legacy boot
- Repairing Windows using
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
-Replacing the SSD with a Cosair SSD
-Peform cloning from the 750 GB
Unfortunately, I'm still unable to solve this issue. Has anyone experienced this issue or is this model incompatible with SSD?
11-28-2013 06:37 PM
Hello YYL02. I understand you will receive a recovery screen and an error stating you are missing winload.efi. This error typically occurs when the installation you mentioned was not performed properly. Before you do any other troubleshooting, please verify if this program exists in the location specified (if possible). Otherwise, please reference this Microsoft thread will relevant troubleshooting steps are presented to resolve the issue: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7cd22ca7-2ec9-40f6-bf01-c7626ecc8c02/0xc000...
Please inform me when you complete troubleshooting so I know the results. I will continue to research the issue in the meantime.
11-28-2013 08:18 PM
Thanks for the update. I've already performed the troubleshooting steps and Windows 8 was installed with UEFI as I've done a clean install with Legacy Support disabled. The files are definitely there as I'm able to see the files when I'm able to boot into Windows.
Kindly note that during installation the HDD (mSSD & SDD) are not detected and I've to download the Intel RST drivers in order for Windows to detect them during installation.
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)