Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Spectre X2 Shutting Down Randomly

HP Recommended
HP Spectre X2 Detachable 12-a050na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I've been having this issue with the machine for around 2 months now, and I have no idea how to fix it. I've even taken it to a repair shop, which I'll explain more about in the post. I'm desperate for any advice as to what to do to fix it. Thanks for all your help in advance!

The machine will randomly and unpredictably shut off, with no error screen, seemingly regardless of what I'm doing at the time. The screen will just suddenly turn black. It is never notably warm. After this occurs, and I press the power button, it begins to boot up apparently as normal. The laptop is just under two years old, hasn't suffered any drops/other damage, and otherwise works fine.

Each time this happens, in Event Viewer, a 'critical' error is logged: Event ID - 41; Source - Kernel-Power.

Here's a list of things I've done to try to solve it, with apparently no change:
- Many, many virus scans, all of them clean
- Updated the BIOS
- Updated every driver I could
- "Reset this PC" twice, removing personal files
- Uninstalled all Windows updates and Disabled updates (may have helped, but some Windows updates were forced through, so didn't have long enough to really tell)

As I mentioned, I've even taken it to a repair shop, who seemed confident they could fix it, but after "reimaging", the issue remained. They then suggested it could be due to the updates, and disabled and uninstalled all Windows updates, but some still remain on the computer, as does the issue. They say they have conducted tests on the hardware, and that all components, including the motherboard, are working as they should.

I'm really at a loss as to what the issue is. I'm a student and really need this to be fixed as I cannot afford a new one. Feel free to ask me any questions if you think the answer will help. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read my post.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,216 5,204 269 384
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @huxley97,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, your notebook is shutting down randomly.

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time it was working fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes? 

Let's check if same happens in BIOS:

• Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  • Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key

Keep me posted,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The original shutting down issue began around early December 2017. There were no hardware or software changes that I know of, but it is possible some Windows/HP updates came in automatically during this time that I don't remember.

I now, however, have a completely new issue on the same machine:

Yesterday, before you posted the above response, I tried updating the BIOS to a new version, which I found on the HP drivers page for my machine. While performing the BIOS update, the computer shut off, and I haven't been able to do anything at all with it. I can't even get it to switch on, enter the BIOS, nothing at all.

I suppose that answers the question of whether the issue still occurs while in the BIOS - it does.

Now though, the bigger problem is that the laptop is now a brick. What can I do about that?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,216 5,204 269 384
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @huxley97,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

In this case, I would suggest you contact our phone support.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately I'm facing the same, even after reinstalling Windows 10 ,... I'm very upset 😞☹️

Talalmir
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,330 1,319 54 94
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation