Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 15-k112nl (ENERGY STAR)

Hi, I have recently worked on this laptop - HP Envy 15 k112nl - and changed the old SATA 7400 rpm hard disk with a  1TB SSD (MX500 Crucial). I also updated the Bios from F.11 to F.57 following HP instructions, cleaned the fan, put new thermal paste,  changed the old CMOS battery and updated the machine through Windows update. Everything went fine and the laptop became much quicker in booting (a few seconds, compared to  the almost one minute before the changes). The problem now is that  when I switch off the computer through the operative system (Windows 10 64 bit Home Edition) everything stops normally (screen, fan, different leds) except the led of the switch button, which remains on forever! I can only switch it off by pressing the button for serval seconds. I didm’t change any settings, just copied the old disk onto the new one, and everything works perfect, except for the led of the switch button. Can somebody help, please?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @savalde,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I reviewed your post and understand that the power button LED is not switching off when you shut down the PC.

Based on the description that you have provided, looks like the PC is going to the sleep more instead of shutting down and usually, in sleep mode the power button LED stays on. 

Or else there is a chance that the fast startup setting in Windows could be interfering with your computer.

I recommend you go to control Panel to check all the Power Options.  You will probably find something needs changing under the PowerButton/Sleep Option settings.

If the issue persist, then follow the below steps.

Set your BIOS order in correct order. Go inside the BIOS and load the default settings to get the original boot order back.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. -

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandytechy20. You got an exact view of the problem. Thanks a lot for your several suggestions. which I am sure will really be helpful. Unfortunately I cannot tell you on the spot because the computer is my niece's and I have to get in touch with her and get my hands on the machine. As soon as I try I will let you know immediately. I am also in trouble in finding the thumb up you are mentioning in the bottom right. I will, eventually. In the meantime, thank you agian for you precious help.

Savalde

HP Recommended

Hi, Sandytechy20, I finally managed to get in touch with my niece and got hold of her notebook.Following your suggestions, I realized that it was actually in sleep mode. In the Control Panel, under the PowerButtonn settings, I changed from sleep mode to switch off mode, and the problem was solved. In case it may be of help, I also read that sometimes the same problem  could be caused  (in Windows 10) by the 11.xx version of the  Intel Management Engine Interface driver. Thanks a lot again and best regards

HP Recommended

@savalde 

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will. Thanks again and best regards,

savalde

HP Recommended

@savalde

You are welcome.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.