cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Unable to Proceed into Firmware Management / BIOS Management

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Kind of getting frustrated by now... I'm trying to update my BIOS. My current BIOS version is Insyde F.77, dated 18th December 2015. I've followed the steps shown here this https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629#c00042629_manual-update.

I was not able to update through the first method because it gives me error like this

Error 1.png

So I ignored this step, and try the one that requires inserting a blank USB drive. However, when I accessed the Hardware Diagnostic UEFI menu, there wasn't any screen like the one shown in the manual update document. The only options are RAM Test, HDD, language test, etc. The Firmware management or BIOS management that I'm supposed to click is missing. From the forum thread here https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Restore-the-UEFI-HP-PC-Hardware-Diagnostics/t... the guy is experiencing the same thing, and he was told that there is a security vulnerability being investigated currently so he should wait for the next update instead of proceeding with this one https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05869091.

Now, my questions are, first, I couldn't see my laptop listed in that long list in the security bulletin thread, and I'm not sure what its supposed to mean even if it does exist in the long list.  My laptop is HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook - 15-ak032tx.Is it listed under different names?

Second, my BIOS dated from 18th December 2015, that is almost about 3 years ago. I admit I wasn't really aware of these things but now I'm having constant latency problem and one of the proposed solution was to check for BIOS updates, which finally opened my eyes about these things. If HP did pull several of the BIOS updates they've released so far, surely my laptop should be able to use one of the previous BIOS versions right? Because it was so outdated, I think maybe even if I use one from 2016 would perhaps do me a lot of good for awhile until the latest and most stable release is out.

Third, since I couldn't find the firmware management or the BIOS management, is this because HP has removed this feature to stop anyone from updating their BIOS while they're dealing with this security invulnerability issues? Is there any other way to update my BIOS anyway or any other method to access this firmware management?

This is the BIOS version I'm trying to update into my laptop https://support.hp.com/my-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-gaming-15-ak000-notebook/8610....

Please assist, I'm having this latency issues for months now and it is really driving me crazy, I need help. Microsoft supports simply told me they don't want to help because they never heard of the software I used to measure the latency (Latency Mod) , but that's not the main purpose of this thread here, I just want to update my BIOS and see if does solve my problem, so please, help me. :Crying:

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE:

Apparently I managed to get it to work again and finally installed the updated BIOS. For now, there is a new issue, most of the functions in the taskbar is not working (Start Menu, Task View, Search, Sound, Network, Date and Time, Notification). Its just the taskbar issue as it seems, because I can troubleshoot each one of them so if I haven't set any available network to automatically connect, I can just troubleshoot it but it won't show the list of available networks. Sound is still working and I can use the shortcut keys on the keyboard to adjust the volume, but I couldn't do it from the taskbar. Search and Start menu, regardless of how many times I click on them, they don't appear to budge at all. I checked at services and their respective service is up and running so it must be the taskbar issue I think? Please help.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation