con_calma Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Window constantly crashing, blue screen, reboot using Edge, IE, Chrome any application

HP Pavilion 17-g121wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have contacted HP about the problem, said my Windows 10 needed update (purchased a week ago), upgraded, crashing constantly using Edge- wouldn't display FB videos properly- tried IE- crashing on FB and Yahoo mail- all blue screen and reboot- have slow Internet, so took laptop to work to upgrade Windows10 and install Chrome.  Took it back home, crashing in the middle of checking my mail and playing a game.  Have run quick diagnostics, no problem.  3 updates were available yesterday from HP:  display, synaptics and graphics- when I tried to run them on the faster network at work, I got a blue screen and reboot, and no updates were available.  I have clicked in settings to stop the computer on error from restarting so I might get an error message on the blue screen, but it isn't working.  If I can't enjoy this computer, I will exchange it- or maybe not get another right now at all.  My 8-year old Compaq was trustworthy, but I dropped it, and I was hoping that this much faster machine would be good.  Is it the computer itself- Windows 10 incompatibility with AMD processor- intermittent slow Internet speeds?  At first I was using wi-fi. but am plugged into the router now.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 824 1414
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Window constantly crashing, blue screen, reboot using Edge, IE, Chrome any application

@con_calma

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 17-g121wm Notebook and are facing multiple issues with it. The laptop crashes while on the internet. You have tried using multiple web browsers like Edge, Chrome, etc. It does not display the Facebook videos, The internet also slows down. You have run the quick diagnostics and performed the updates. But the laptop still has a blue screen and reboots. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• At the bluescreen do you get an error code or does the laptop restart immediately after the bluescreen?
  • If you're not connected to the internet then does the laptop crash?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Now, let us perform a Windows Refresh (repair). This will repair any corrupted operating system files. The steps are the same for Win8 and Win10. 

If the issue persists post a reset then the suggested steps from this ink should help.

Hope this information helps. Do let me know how it goes. All the best! :)

0 Kudos
con_calma Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, MKazi!  I will try this when I get home this afternoon.  I haven't tried to disconnect the battery yet.  I am not sure if it crashes when I am not on the Internet.  There is only a blue screen and restart- no error messages.  I even went into Advanced Settings as an Administrator and deselected start up upon error, but the computer ignores it, and reboots anyway.  I put a laptop fan under the notebook to keep it cooler, also.  When I first set it up, it went to sleep after 5 minutes, even though I was actively using it.  I did select "Sleep- Never" under settings and that problem was resolved.  I am now using version 1607 Windows 10.  This evening I will remove the battery, and follow the Windows 10 refresh steps as you have suggested.  If nothing else works, the computer is going back to be exchanged to the store as tomorrow is the last day.  This has been a rough 2 weeks ; )

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 824 1414
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@con_calma

You're welcome. Please try the steps and feel free to reply. Take care! :)

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation