Level 3
91 68 0 2
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yet another startup problem

HP Envy Model 15t-j100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

From time to time since this laptop was about 2 days out of warranty it has hung on boot up, Usually it hangs at the "Choose boot options" screen. And a hard reset is the only way out. So I am now a wizz at it, but once yesterday, twice today, it has hung without even getting to that boot option, just the screen back-light comes on, that's it.

Yesterday one hard reset got it going, today it took two hard resets, at this rate I could be doing numerous resets, but what worries me is that one of these days it just isn't going to boot at all. Looking at just the first few posts in this forum it obvious that there is something wrong with HP laptops. I've had several other brands and had never even heard of a hard reset before I bought this HP machine.

So could some HP expert perhaps explain what are the likely causes? Could it be the power supply? Seems unlikey with the battery installed. Could it be a memory problem, again unlikely if it hasn't got to the startup options. Hard Disk Sentinel reports no problems with the 240GB SSD. I've tried disconnecting ALL peripheral devices before shutting down, which I do every night. Where do I go from here?

David

15 REPLIES 15
Retired
Retired
2,785 2,654 144 331
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @David12228,

Thank you for posting at HP Forums! Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos.

I have read your post and wanted to help. I understand that the laptop hangs at the start up, and it needs hard reset to make it work.

Please run the hardware failure tests first:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)

Let me know if the laptop passed the tests for hard drive and memory.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
David12228
Level 3
91 68 0 2
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your input, I went to the Website you suggested, found a lot of updates that had to be installed. Not all worked.

The HP Hardware Diagnostics UEFI froze after starting to create a partition. It doesn't look as though a partition was created (there is a System Reserved partition of 100mb, but that doesn't seem to have changed).

InsydeFlash failed, twice, so that stopped 2 updates.

Intel Smart connect technology driver ended with "Access denied" when extracting files.

Seagate firmware update ended with: "An error occurred when patching the DOS image file."

(I can send screen shots of the error messages if it would help)

I was also baffled by the SimplePass updates, 3 of them:

8.00.57                Jul 1 2016

8.01.39REV A    Jun 28 2016

8.01.11 Rev      Jun 28 2016

Looking at the numbers I would have thought that the second was the latest version, but looking at the dates the first would seem to be the one to go for. Or should they all be installed, if so in what order?

However, to get back to the startup issue, the answer is that I don't know whether it has been sorted out or not. The machine did re-boot normally after the updates, but this problem doesn't occurr every time I boot, maybe once or twice a week. And the latest occurrence was the only time I've had to do 2 hard resets to get it to boot. I suppose that only time will tell.

I would appreciate guidence on the SimplePass updates.

Thank you,

David

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,785 2,654 144 331
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @David12228,

8.01.39REV A    Jun 28 2016 

This one is the latest one for the HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software

sp70794.exe

Also you can run the HP Support Assistant. It will help to update the drivers too.

After the update finishes, restart the laptop and try to access UEFI to run the system test. It is to make sure there is no hardware problem.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
David12228
Level 3
91 68 0 2
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again. I was using the HP Support Assistant, didn't stop some of the updates failing.

And can you please explain, "try to access UEFI to run the system test"?

David

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,785 2,654 144 331
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi David,

To access UEFI:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see one of the following screens:

Select System Tests.

The System Tests check the hardware sub-systems to ensure they are functioning properly.

• Select the Fast Test to check the basic functionality of the main components.

• Select the Quick Test to perform a quick check of the hardware and main components.

• Select the Extensive Test to perform a full check of the hardware. This test might take 2 or more hours to complete.

Let me know if you can pass the tests.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
David12228
Level 3
91 68 0 2
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for that detailed post. I will do the checks today, and the full check tonight.

David

0 Kudos
David12228
Level 3
91 68 0 2
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sorry to trouble you again, but the update for SimplePass that you sent me (sp70794) did not work. It ended with:

"SimplePass has detected that we cannot upgrade the version of SimplePass installed on your system. Please uninstall the software and run the setup again."

However, there is no obvious way to uninstall it. It is not listed in Control Panel > Programs and Features, and not one of the options in the program itself.

David

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,785 2,654 144 331
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi David,

Please try to enter Safe Mode

HP Notebook PCs - Entering Safe Mode (Windows 7)

Check in the Program and Feaures again if you can locate the HP SimplePass Identity Protection software.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
David12228
Level 3
91 68 0 2
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is further to my last...

I tried to download the latest version of the hardware diagnostics:

"If your HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI is older than the version used here, you can upgrade it to the latest version. For the latest software version and installation instructions, go to the HP Hardware Diagnostics UEFI website."

I followed the link, and got?

"Error 404: EJCBD0021E: The URI [spa:Z6_M0I02JG0KGSS30ACT8MPG200G1/html/hp.com/go/techcenter/pcdiags] and parameters [['pragma'=['no-cache']]] could not be processed: [EJPEI0088E: The resource [hp.com/go/techcenter/pcdiags] could not be found.]"

I don't know why I am surprised, slow learner I guess.

David

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation