1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

kali linux not booting to Grub after installation

HP Recommended
pavilion 250 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi every one...
I currently installed kali linux on my virtual box, but as times goes on i noticed that some features were not fully usable under the virtualisation environment such as the NAT and Bridged network protocols and some other network issues. I decided to dual boot kali with my Win10 wich is my primary OS, I followed the neccesary procedure like creating a bootable kali pendrive, disabling secure boot, enabling Legacy mode, disabling the fast boot, creating a free partition and so on.....

The installation went smooth and perfect but I was unable to boot into kali's GRUB after the restart, instead, my machine boot into win10 and not even the so called black screen appeared, I wiped the partitioned space i used for the installation and started the installation all over with different pendrives, sd cards and DVDs and even downloading another ISO image with the intention that either the pendrive or the image had been corrupted but the sha1 sum is still the same with the one on the official website. I also tried other methods like using the Easy BCD toolkit and i got an error message "Due to limitations set by microsoft, many of EasyBCD features can not be used in EFI, and BCD edit to create a new entry but instead i got two win10 on my pc installing other linux distro like arch and backbox did the same... I tried using other iso burning tolls like linux live usb installer, win32 disk imager, windows iso burning tool, rufus.....

the only thing i noticed was that i wasn't ask to choose either logical or primary format during the partitioning. though after installing Grub as master boot, i was asked to choose an OS which has only win10 on the list and kali was no where to be found, I am afraid to go further cos i dont want to f**k with my windows MBR i've done alot of google search and saw alot of tutorials which i tried and non worked, I would be glad if a Geek can help me out coz i've corrupted a lot of drives and am afraid of doing more damages

1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,386 30,293 2,764 6,692
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Remzified

Sorry, but this is just a community self-help forum staffed by volunteers helping folks with MS Windows-related problems.

HP only warranties their PCs for use with the original OS that comes preinstalled on the PCs. When you replace that or add a different OS, you then assume full responsibility for maintaining that PC.

For support with Linux issues, your best approach is to post in the support forum of the Linx distro you are going to use.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation