Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (775 Views)

preparing to configure windows don’t turn off your computer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I restarted my computer because a game crashed and it has been saying preparing to configure windows don’t turn off your computer and it has not changed for the past 20 minutes.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (734 Views)

Re: preparing to configure windows don’t turn off your computer

Hi @Samtonks,

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out Smiley Happy

As I understand, you're getting an error message while trying to boot.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

What is the product number?

Let's run a system test to ensure hardware is good: 

• Press the Power button to turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  • From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Quick Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take up to 15 minutes.
  • If no system component failed, please go back to main menu and Exit from the screen
  • If a component fails a test, write down the information so you have it available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu.

Once test passes, please try a system restore. This will not delete your personal data and application: 

• Turn off the computer and wait at least 5 seconds with the computer in a full off state.
  • Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until you see the Windows loading screen.
  • If a language selection screen opens, select the language you want to use to continue.
  • On the Choose your keyboard layout screen, select the keyboard layout that matches your keyboard type.
  • On the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
  • On the Troubleshoot screen, click Advanced Options
  • On the Advanced options screen, click System Restore.
  • Click Windows 8, click Windows 8.1, or click Windows 10 as the target operating system.
  • The System Restore window opens.
  • Click Next.
  • Click the restore point that you want to use, and then click next.
  • The Confirm Restore Point window opens.
  • Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.
  • Do yes in the warning that appears.not interrupt System Restore when it starts. Doing so can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. Click
  • System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

Keep me posted!

Have a great day Smiley Happy

Flower_Bud

I am an HP Employee 

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation