Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp envyts 17 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ran system quick test  hard drive short dst test failed returned code q0f880-7079ba-mfgjxa-60wc03

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The code you received, Hard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure, means the hard drive needs to be replaced and the operating system reinstalled.

Consult the service manual for your specific model notebook for the HDD R & R procedures.

After you replace the hard drive, you can reinstall W10 as follows...

To reinstall W10...Use the Media Creation Tool.  Make the 64 bit installation media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can make a W10 USB flash drive installer using an 8 GB flash drive using another Windows PC, since your PC is not working.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Here are the steps to create the W10 USB flash drive installer...

1. Select Download tool now, and select Run.
  2. If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
  3. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.
  4. Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10. You want 64 bit.

5. Select which media you want to use:
  6. USB flash drive.  Plug in a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

The code you received, Hard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure, means the hard drive needs to be replaced and the operating system reinstalled.

Consult the service manual for your specific model notebook for the HDD R & R procedures.

After you replace the hard drive, you can reinstall W10 as follows...

To reinstall W10...Use the Media Creation Tool.  Make the 64 bit installation media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can make a W10 USB flash drive installer using an 8 GB flash drive using another Windows PC, since your PC is not working.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Here are the steps to create the W10 USB flash drive installer...

1. Select Download tool now, and select Run.
  2. If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
  3. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.
  4. Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10. You want 64 bit.

5. Select which media you want to use:
  6. USB flash drive.  Plug in a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Recommended

Ok.  The computer is still working, though it hangs after a bit.  I tried to run windows backup but it got stuck on 95% done.  Since it won't  back up, is it possible to copy files one at a time as a way to save everything for a new hard drive?

HP Recommended

Let me add that I ran chkdsk and norton disk doctor and neither showed any problem or bad sectors.

HP Recommended

If you can, go into your user profile, and copy all of the file folders (Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Videos, etc.)  to a portable hard drive.

If you kept the SWSetup folder (located in C:\SWSetup) on your PC, also copy that to a portable hard drive, as it should contain all of the original program and driver files that came with your PC.  You can install any programs from that folder that aren't listed on the support page.

Then after you reinstall W10, you can simply copy and paste the file folders to your new user profile and they will overwrite the empty ones that were created.

It is doubtful that the PC threw a code for nothing.

If you don't want to replace the HDD, then I would back up any files from time to time that you don't want to lose.

It is not a matter of if a hard drive will fail, it is a matter of when.

HP Recommended

Agreed.  Would like to upgrade to a 1tb ssd.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

One more question.  There is a recovery partion on the drive.  Can I run that from a copy on the portable drive?

HP Recommended

I don't know of any way to use the recovery partition without the recovery manager software on the original hard drive.

1 TB hard drive...I have this 240 GB model in 2 of my HP desktop PC's and 2 of my HP notebook PC's.

It is relatively inexpensive and works great.

The make a 960 GB model...and a 1 TB model...

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-960GB-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B01LY5ZZ4P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=15461064...

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SSD-PLUS-Internal-SDSSDA-1T00-G26/dp/B07D998212/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qi...

HP Recommended

Thank you very much.  Here goes nothing.  😕

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

BTW, you may be interested in doing this in the future for recovery...

You can make a system image of your new W10 installation using the free Macrium Reflect software.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Get a portable hard drive large enough to save the image on.

The software will also prompt you to make a rescue USB flash drive or DVD which you boot from to access the image stored on your portable hard drive.

You can make a new system image anytime you want to keep it updated.

Then if you ever need to reinstall W10, you can use the latest image you made to be as close to where you were.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.