Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MRADKINS
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery Only Charges when I run Diagnostics Test.

HP g7 Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As and IT Professional I realize that the more information that I provide the easyier to dignose the issue.  So here is the issue and what I have already done to resolve the problem.

LAPTOP IS An HP Paviliion g7 Notebook product number B5Z52UAR#ABA. 

OS - Windows 10 - 64 bit.

My Laptop stopped showing charging even though I have it plugged in.  I thought at first it was the charger but now realize it is something else.  Here is what I have done.

I ran the HP Diagnostics on the battery and the diagnostics shows the battery is good.  What is strange is when the diagnostics is running the battery icon starts showing charging and when I hover the mouse pointer over the icon it says plugged in an charging.  But as soon as the diagnostics finishes the icon stops showing charging and when I over over it the battery shows plugged in and not charging.  If I continue to run the diagnostics the battery charges a little more each time.

I have performed a routine suggested on a website where I unplug the power cable, power down the laptop, remove the battery, plug the laptop back in, and start the computer.  Then go to Divice Mangaer and Uninstall the Microsoft ACPI-Complient Control Method Battery, power down the laptop, unplug the laptop, re-install the battery, and plug the laptop back in.  Then when I load the OS the Microsoft ACPI-Complient Control Method Battery reinstalls.  When I do this the battery icon shows it is charging for a while or until I put the laptop to sleep by closing the lid. 

I have changed and I have all the laterst updates from Microsoft and my HP Support Assistant shows I have all the latest drivers.

I feel that since the laptop charges correcty when I run diagnostices, and when I re-install the Microsoft ACPI for a short time that the issue is not a hardware issue, or an issue with my battery. 

I think there is a driver or issue with the software and the battery monitor. 

Any suggestions would be helpful.  It is not a huge issue as I mostly use the laptop plugged in.  But on occasion I would like to have a good charged battery if needed.

Thank you for your help in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
22,375 22,331 1,878 2,992
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery Only Charges when I run Diagnostics Test.

@MRADKINS

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand the battery is plugged in but doesn't charge,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Have you updated the BIOS? if you haven't, please do: Click here to download.

While I await your reply, I have a few steps listed below that should help you resolve this concern: 

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. (Ensure the battery drains to 15% before initiating the next step, as you seem to have skipped this on your detailed description)

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. 

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager, 

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed. 

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. 

The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging. 

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge 

Battery Charging Delayed When Operating Notebook in High Ambient Temperatures 

Battery Does Not Charge when Using a Voltage Adapter with the Power Adapter 

Battery Indicator Light Turns On and Off While Battery is Charging 

To understand more about how your battery works: Click here

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation