Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobTopLap
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery any good? How to calibrate? (Plugged in... not charging - past 86%)

HP ENvy 1000 CTO

Basic issue: Battery is charging to 86% and now only lasts a half hour. It reports "Plugged in, not charging" on A/C power even after being plugged in with the computer shut down for 5 hours.

Installed HP Support Assitant. The Battery report says that it is OK. The Design Capacity is shown as 4000mah. It says that Full Charge Capacity is 2152 mah (53%) and reports that the Remaining Capacity is 1855 mah. Note that this is the 86% i.e. 2152/1855.

Shouldn't the charge capacity be 4000mah? Does this indicate that the battery is down to half life? What exactly is "Full Charge Capacity"?   It only lasts a half hour, so that is WAY below half capacity, which it seems to be saying is still there.

Is there some way to recalibrate the battery and get it to fully charge?  I searched here and found some links to "recalibrate your battery" but they all just lead to support.hp.com. If I search from there, I just go in an endless loop.

3 REPLIES 3
Level 17
Level 17
44,688 38,145 3,342 14,040
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As a battery ages it loses the ability to reach full charge capacity. It also dies faster when on battery power only.

Calibrating may help some but don't expect miracles:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00821536#AbT3

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
BobTopLap
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks.  That's what I was looking for.

Am I right about the numbers? Does the "Design Capacity : 4000mah. Full Charge Capacity is 2152 mah (53%) " info indicate that the battery is at best going to hit just over half its original capacity?

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
44,688 38,145 3,342 14,040
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, that is how I interpret it.

If calibrating does not help you could try another process which may/may not help.

1. Disconnect the A/C power supply.
2. Shut down the computer.
3. Remove the battery
4. Connect the A/C power supply
5. Start the computer.
6. In Device Manager look for Battery
7. Click on the arrow next to Battery to expand, then right click on all Microsoft entries  and select uninstall.
8. Shut the computer down.
9. Disconnect the A/C power supply.
10. Insert the battery.
11. Insert the A/C power supply.
12. Start the computer.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation