Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery draining while turned off

Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the brand new Spectre x360 and I keep it plugged in all day while using it, then every night I turn it off, and unplug it. At that point it had 100% charge. When I turn it back on in the morning, I notice that the battery has drained, usually down to around 80-90%. What is draining it? I tried turning off Windows "fast startup", but that did not change anything. 

I do have a Logitech USB receiver for my mouse and keyboard plugged into the standard USB port, could it be that? Perhaps the HP "sleep and charge" feature is letting that thing draw power overnight? If so, is there a way to disable that feature?

Or, perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I have the laptop in tablet mode, on a stand.  Maybe the camera/infrared on the front are active somehow?

I also usually leave cord plugged into the USB Type-C ports, 1 for the power cord and 1 for a monitor, but I always have them unplugged from both the wall and the monitor, so I don't think it can be those.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...in the meantime I'll try to test it tonight, by unplugging the USB receiver and/or closing the laptop, to see if that changes anything...

8 REPLIES 8
SteamboatJoe
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update: last night I unplugged the USB dongle for the keyboard and mouse, turned the computer off at 100% and unplugged it...this morning, I turn it on and it's at 87%. So, I don't think it's the usb. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,304 3,302 178 338
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@SteamboatJoe,

Thanks for stopping by HP Support Forums.

I came across your post and would like to help.

Need assistance in fixing the battery issue. Is that, correct?

Please share the exact model number of the PC in order to provide updates for the PC specifically and check if that helps you fix the issue.

Hope the solution answers your query. Feel free to reply back for more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
SteamboatJoe
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Model is hp spectre x360 convertible 13-w023dx

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,304 3,302 178 338
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey@SteamboatJoe,

Thanks for the response.

Please try the steps from the link below and check if that finds any faults on the battery.

http://hp.care/2jKCy9u

Hope this helps. Please share for more assistance.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
SteamboatJoe
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did the components test on the battery, and it PASSED. Also I have tried unplugging everything at night and closing the laptop, and it still loses at least 10% of power. Any other ideas? Obviously something is running and draining it.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,304 3,302 178 338
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey@SteamboatJoe,

Thanks for the response.

There is a specific update that needs to be installed.

The steps are a bit difficult to which I recommend you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance.

The Phone support should be able to help you install the recommended update and help you fix the issue on your PC.

Use the link below to contact phone support.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
SteamboatJoe
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK but when I call them, what do I tell them I need? Is there a name or description or # for this specific update?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,304 3,302 178 338
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey@SteamboatJoe,

Thanks for the response.

The moment you explain the issue, the representative will help you with the correct6 solution.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation