cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
8 6 1 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Changing the Broadcom wireless and bluetooth adapter

HP Recommended
Hp pavilion gaming 15 from 2016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, hp forums. I have some questions if you can help me.

I own a Hp pavilion gaming 15, the model with skylake and gtx 950M sold in 2016 with greeny keyboard. The thing is that it has very slow connection even on ethernet it is only 100 but the wi fi is very bad, that BroadCom 43142 it is very slow working only on 2.4 ghz.

I want to change my wireless adaptor, and I am wondering if I can do that and if any model will work. Or if i have two antenas for wireless and bluetooth cuz it is a combo adapter, but i want 5GHZ cause my bluetooth interfere with everything, If i use my bluetooth speakers or headphones i can not use my internet, cause i get like 2 Mbps, without i get like 45 mpbs but even so, i want to use 5GHZ cuz my router can go up to 150.

On device manager it says that is a BroadCom 4314 M2 adapter so, probably it has 3 feets not only 2 like pcie. So what model can I buy for my laptop. Thanks !

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,913 42,701 6,833 11,949
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See page 3. Unfortunately those models with the Broadcom adapter only have a single antenna. That severely limits upgrade options and as a practical matter means to achieve 5ghz connection you have to use a usb dongle. If you do that and disable the onboard wifi it likely will make the bluetooth work a bit better. 

Post back with any other questions but please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed. 

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 1 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC wireless from USB 3.0 can work same as an M2 wi fi card  ? I can do that and disable Broadcome from device manager but i want in fact a new wi fi card, on that manual it says that it comes with 

Integrated Wireless options with dual antennas (M.2/PCIe): ● Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter Intel WiDi support Compatible with 0iracast-certiƭed devices

Some models at the page 11 of that manual. what happens if i change with with only one atenna,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Won't work very well...no better than what you have, maybe worse. 2.4/5ghz card needs dual antennae. 

Models with the Intel wifi card came with 2 antennae. Yours has Broadcom and one antenna. 

The other option is to completely tear down the laptop add a wireless antenna and rebuild it. Can be done but a major chore. 

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 1 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

But I don t get it, that card has not his own antenna, or what is going on. I can not add another antena by myself or something like, or if it shares the same antenna with bluetooth i will get the same interference.. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am not really sure how much more I can explain it. 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation