Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Wicked_Rabbit Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compatible RAM For Notebook Upgrade

HP Notebook 15-ba047cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Good day, I bought an HP Notebook 15-ba047cl and I need to upgrade the RAM, but there's a few issues.  So the laptop comes with two slots, one is being used with an 8GB SODIMM. I want to expand the RAM to 16GB and also enable dual-channel mode, but the stick of RAM in my laptop seems to not only be quite rare, but very expensive. The RAM currently installed in my laptop is:

Manufacturer Hynix

Manufacturer Reference HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH

Capacity 8GB

Name PC4-19200

Short Form 8GB(1Rx8)

Type 260Pin

Construction Type SO-DIMM

Model SO-DIMM

Organization 1Gx64

Description DDR4 2400MHz

Number of Ranks 1

Extension unbuffered

Error Correction non-ECC

DRAM Organization 1Gx8

Number of DRAM 8

Construction Type of DRAM FBGA(78ball)

Type Height 31.25mm

Voltage 1,2V

I've read HP's documents extensively and they insist I use RAM from the same manufacturer and model number in order to enable dual-channel mode (though I know full well this isn't always needed), but this particlar brand and model is severely problematic to get a hold of. As for my question, I was wondering whether or not I should purchase an entirely new set of 2 8GB sticks, and which ones you would recommend for this laptop, or if there was some way for you guys to assist me in getting just one other stick of RAM from another manufacturer that would work and enable dual-channel mode. I can't seem to find much people, if any at all, mentioning this laptop, and when I try to use the offline hardware scanners and memory finders of RAM manufacturers like Crucial and Patriot, they tell me they currently have no RAM compatible with my laptop.

Side Note: Crucial's offline scanner says they don't have any RAM compatible with my laptop, but when I use the online search on their website by typing in my laptop model, they show RAM modules that are compatible with my HP Notebook 15-ba047cl. They seem to fit the bill as well, being PC4-19200, Single Ranked, 2400Mhz, 260 pin, 1.2v, non-ECC, unbuffered, etc. They seem to match up with the Hynix RAM in my laptop but I'm afraid to purchase it, and also left confused by the whole thing and why HP would choose such a hard-to-find module for a laptop. Please help me, I need the extra 8GB for running multiple VMs and to help my GPU access all of it's shared 4.25GB VRAM when needed, when I play games that use a lot of RAM and VRAM.

2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
71720 8662 18650
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would go for Crucial. If you wish to buy HP RAM, you can buy from

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=820570-005

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Wicked_Rabbit Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance. The link you posted helps. Quick question though. If I buy a stick of Crucial RAM and pair it with my currently installed RAM (assuming I make sure all the specs of both modules are matching), can I unlock dual-channel mode? Or do you recommend me buying 2x8GB Crucial modules and just replacing the current RAM in my laptop altogether?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation