Somone Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does upgrading hdd to ssd void warranty?

HP Notebook - 15-ay167sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wish to upgrade the hard drive to an ssd in my HP 15-ay167sa, i was wondering if this would void the warranty as i cant see any stickers that would be broken on the outside of the device.

Thanks for any replies.

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
38168 37988 5801 10075
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 60 and 66. For this model in order to switch to an M.2 mSSD you have to get a different adapter. There is one SATA port that can only be connected via a ribbon cable that comes off the correct caddy for either a 2.5 inch hard drive/SSD or an M.2 mSSD. Since your laptop has a hard drive you do have all the equipment to upgrade to a 2.5 inch wide SATA SSD 7mm or 9.5mm thick (other than the SSD itself)

The whole section on replacing the hard drive is in the "forbidden zone" where it is supposed to only be done by an authorized technician. HP does not take a definitive position on this and I assume it is on a case-by-case basis. You can assume if you cause any damage during the upgrade you are on your own. And to be safe, you should assume if you open the rear cover you may not have a warranty. if it were my laptop I would not be hesitant to upgrade, but that kind of attitude gets me in trouble sometimes. 

Post back with any more questions. 

0 Kudos
Somone Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the reply! I have done some tinkering with PC's and laptops before so i will probably go ahead and swap it over.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation