Level 2
12 11 0 5
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post

External keyboard random drops, random not there upon boot, general USB issues

HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

External keyboard random drops, random not there upon boot, general USB issues.  I use HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl012dx plugged into an external monitor and keyboard. Very recently it has been dropping the keyboard and failing to connect upon reboot. I have turned the USB suspend off and followed all the google searchable help posts. I thought it might have been related to a recent Win 10 update but I did do a recovery back to before the suspected update. I looked in the device manager and was get fail descriptor or something close to that. I uninstall all the hubs, reinstalled drivers and still get random keyboard drops.  Ideas help?!

Richard

17 REPLIES 17
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,399 2,355
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Rlaing1955,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from your post you are having issues with the external keyboard. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Are other USB devices work fine on this port?

What is the make of the keyboard?

Did you try to update the Chipset drivers?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Once done, restart the computer. 

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Alternatively, I would suggest you try to check if other USB devices work on this port/on this computer.

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Rlaing1955
Author
Level 2
12 11 0 5
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Jeet, 

Any help is deeply appreciated. I have performed all the things you mentioned. I have tried with a couple of different keyboards. The random nature makes it hard to test and sadly the other devices I have are USB C. At this point I am hoping the Win 10 fall update will address this as I suspect it is a Win 10 issue. It started after an update they pushed. I recovered to a date before the pushed update and that did not help.  

PS when the computer wakes from sleep there is a series of 7 - 8 connects alert sounds.   

0 Kudos
KrazyToad
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,998 21,985 1,326 1,351
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Rlaing1955

Thanks for keeping us posted 

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

This seems to be an issue with the OS since you have tried with multiple keyboards.

You can wait for the next update from Microsoft which might get this issue fixed, else you can perform a Push Button Reset since the System Restore didn't help

Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289 for help with the Reset

Keep me posted if you need further assistance

Thank you and have a great day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

Rlaing1955
Author
Level 2
12 11 0 5
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is an odd clue. 

When the laptop goes into sleep mode and I hit the external keyboard to wake it up it responds to the keyboard and starts to awaken and then I hear the disconnect alert. When the login screen is fully available (external monitor, laptop lid down) I then have to use the external mouse to proceed and a computer reset is required to use login pin.

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Rlaing1955,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

After reviewing your post thoroughly,I see you seem to still have the issue with the external keyboard does not work in windows. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should you resolve this issue.

Just wanted to check does the internal keyboard works inside the Windows? 

Have you checked the settings for the what does the lid do when closed?

Could you please respond to this post with the details as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Rlaing1955
Author
Level 2
12 11 0 5
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, the internal keyboard works steadily.  The close lid,  is set to do nothing.

Thanks again

As I type 1809 fall update is installing. 

thanks again

0 Kudos
Rlaing1955
Author
Level 2
12 11 0 5
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, the latest Windows 1809 did not present the solution.  A reboot still required to get the keyboard back. So frustrating.

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Rlaing1955,

Thank you for replying,

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I see that you have performed the steps suggested as well as you tried to perform the recent Windows update and unfortunately nothing has helped to resolve this issue.

In this scenario, I would suggest you could try to do a Microsoft push button reset on the PC

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment In this document.

If this does not help then the next option would be to perform a system recovery using the partition available on your PC.

Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Here's what you need to know about obtaining a recovery media for yourself: HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Otherwise, I will share you a private message with details. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as Solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Rlaing1955
Author
Level 2
12 11 0 5
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did a complete recovery process and the USB 3.0 port still intermittent and flakey. Seems to have an issue with 2.0 devices such as keyboards. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation