cancel
curry684 Tutor
Tutor
5 4 0 3
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Extreme power limit throttling on Spectre x360 Vega

I have the ch020nd, and whilst I'm very happy with it for the business/programming work I do on it it's a total joke for gaming, as it's just about permanently on Power Limit Throttle. I've tried just about everything, up to and including severe undervolting and limiting multicore multipliers, and I still have this wonderful 2200 euro laptop that can run most games in full HD at 60+fps without a hitch... for about 15 seconds before it becomes a stutterfest. It's *ALWAYS* power limit throttling. At 12W. With a 65W TDP processor on board. This what playing a game looks like in Intel XTU:

throttle.png

As you can see, in laptop mode, near permanent power throttle, at 74 degrees core and 68 degrees GPU.

HP should be ashamed for putting this out on the market. It's the perfect game machine on paper, just unable to play games.

13 REPLIES 13
Provost Provost
Provost
41,443 38,142 3,337 13,996
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, the hardware specs are great. The thin mobile case is not the greatest for cooling during extreme load. Spectre was not designed for gaming, more for those who need powerful hardware plus ultra mobility in a laptop.

Omen has the powerful hardware plus a case that provides better cooling- designed for gaming.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
curry684 Tutor
Tutor
5 4 0 3
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Except that everything you say is wrong - it has not a single issue at all cooling. Look at that XTU screenshot - package temperature did not go above 75 degrees. There is no thermal throttling. That CPU can take 98 degrees without a hitch. I've seen it do it effortlessly before I undervolted it.

It's just that, no matter what you do, it start power limit throttling for no reason whatsoever. It's plugged in, it's got 100% battery, it's got a 110-something watt power stream going. It just refuses to do it because of low level settings that aren't exposed in BIOS.

Intern
Intern
12 12 0 11
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The settings for how it monitors itself and then decided to throttle are in the bios but hidden. I dont have the balls to try to hack it, all HP need to do is have the bios throttling set a bit closer to the thermal maximums seen. What is happening is that it sees activity and some medium high temps then changes to "big TDP throttle gear" but then never changes back regardless of how cold its got.

In tent mode it doesnt even bother to monitor it just shuts it down to low TDP even though in tent mode the cooling is actually better than when in laptop mode!

0 Kudos
dt126 Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried to boot on battery and run your tests (never plugging in the AC charger)? I have an older version of the Spectre and am now having incredible speed throttling issues when on AC power. Since the important sections of the BIOS related to power management are hidden, I'm curious what will happen in your case.

Again, to test, unplug the charger, then boot, then test. Don't plug in the charger at all during the testing. 

0 Kudos
curry684 Tutor
Tutor
5 4 0 3
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found a possible solution on Dell forums for similar machines and it actually surprisingly seems to work well.

Go to Device Manager, and under System Devices find the "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Participant". Right click and "Uninstall Device". After this XTU still reports the power throttle all the time but it no longer actually seems to be doing anything at all, and I've been able to play GTA5 for 3+ hours straight without a single frame drop. As I undervolted -0.07V as well the processor never exceeds 75 degrees so the system is still perfectly healthy despite the current heat wave here.

Just keep in mind that you have to repeat this whenever you game - the component is automatically reinstalled whenever you reboot or unhibernate. But based on 2 evenings of stutter-free gaming this is the only solution for the terrible design and BIOS choices HP made on this machine.

Intern
Intern
12 12 0 11
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With the thing on battery it goes in low power mode which then doesnt throttle but its slow.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
12 12 0 11
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IT WORKS!!!!

Brilliant work. Like you say if you set the undervolting and the max cpu frequency to a decent level it actually follows the settings in XTU without dropping to it's bios settings. Even works in tent mode!

I have XTU loading at startup, now I just need someone to help me make it so that Intel service is killed at startup?

0 Kudos
Savvra Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, could I ask what you're referring to when you say "it works"?

I'm currently struggling to get my HP Spectre Vega M model to consistently run at even its base clock without periodically throttling to 0.8GHz.

Are you saying that you've managed to get consistent performance from your device?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
12 12 0 11
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, yes it now works as fast as I want it to even when in tent or tablet mode.

The things I did were...

Update to latest bios

Make sure that my windows power profile was setup correctly (including showing and adjusting all the hidden processor settings)

Installed XTU, made a profile which keeps the processor working flat out when i need it (undervolted and overclocked)

Made a powershell script which runs at startup to activate that profile

Made a powershell script to unload the driver which lets the bios control the throtling. This is the one that really did the job i think. But if you dont take care of the others there is  chance you could set it up wrong.

So far I have still to make the last script run at startup but not got around to it yet, it is still an icon on my desktop.

The 0.8Ghz thing I found I was getting with old bios and also if i tried to use XTU too much to avoid the throttling. Also sometimes in tent mode it got stuck at 0.8 when the windows power modes got stuck on best battery.

Now I get 4.2Ghz most of the time which drops to 3.4Ghz when all the cores get pushed to 100% and it just sits there. Even if I flip the laptop over and make it a tablet. Temps stay less than 80 degs nomatter what and the XTU settings control the power and hest throttling for as long as i want. It still drops to 0.8Ghz when idling and battery times seem un affected.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation