Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HannesS
Level 3
46 32 1 10
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Fix for Windows Hello not Working with Camera on x360 15-BL012DX on Fall Creator's Update

HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15-BL012DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

To tell you the truth, it's a bit frustrating that HP themselves doesn't know how to fix this issue and that we poor users have to always figure this stuff out for ourselves, but it is what it is I guess.

Okay, enough ranting. On to the solution...

I performed a clean installation of the Fall Creator's Update on my laptop only to find that Windows Hello would no longer work with HP provided camera drivers. I found that the solution is to download and install a new camera driver from the Microsoft Update Catalog. Interestingly, Windows Update does not automatically download and install this driver, so you will need to do it manually. Here are the instructions for doing this:

Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog located here: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx.

In the search box type "HP Truevision" and perform the search.

You get a list of drivers. Look for the following driver:

SunplusIT - Camera - 10/27/2017 12:00:00 AM - 3.6.8.7

Note that there will be 2 drivers with all the same details. Only the size of the download differs. If I'm not mistaken, one is probably the 32-bit version while the other is 64-bit. You want to download the one that has a size of 862KB.

Once downloaded, put the file in a folder and extract the contents of the CAB file that you just downloaded. Winzip is an example of a program that can do this. Just right-click on the file and pick "Unzip to here" if you have Winzip installed.

Next, open Device Manager (Windows Key + X, then select Device Manager), locate the camera in the list of devices and double-click on it, go to the driver tab, select Update Driver, Browse my computer for drivers, point it to the location where you extracted the downloaded CAB file and click on Next.

Windows Hello should now work!

4 REPLIES 4
ojra89
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This fixed my issue! Thank you! I had tried so many things before!

0 Kudos
HannesS
Author
Level 3
46 32 1 10
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Glad it helped. This issue bugged me for a while too. It's frustrating that HP can't have an update ready to go when a new Windows update is released. After all, they have months of betas to be testing solutions. I guess that's simply asking too uch 🙂

bayoucity
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you!  This was driving me crazy!  HP acknowledge that it was a problem that was caused by the Microsoft update, but they did not have a fix.

Thank you so much for sharing the solution to the problem.

0 Kudos
sc0ttwad3
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your step-by-step details for fixing this issue were super helpful. Thank you so much for sharing this fix with the community! 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation