cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Forced Shutdown When Lid is closed

HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 13-ad0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have been a HP laptop user for almost 2 years, and until very recently, I could hardly fault the products (laptops and accessories). My last laptop was excellent and I have no problems. However, I recently worked hard over my summer break to earn enough money to buy this £1,000 laptop, which I am beginning to regret.

I have been having issues with my notebook for a few weeks. Every time I shut the lid and put it in my bag (along with one textbook - I'm a college student), the laptop shuts down. At first, I obviously assumed it was an issue with my settings. I checked my settings in Power Options, both in control panel and in the settings app, and both are set to 'do nothing' when the lid is closed. I have also attempted to change this to sleep but the issues prevails. I have attached screenshots of the relevant settings at the bottom of this post.

Once I had established this, I called HP Support, who informed me that I should update my BIOS, and helpfully guided me through this process. They also confirmed that my settings were as I have claimed. Once more, the issue continued.

I then decided to take matters into my own hands and did a lot of researching. I found that it could be caused by out of date graphics drivers so I went to the graphics card manufacturer's (Nvidia) website and updated the driver successfully from there. The issue did not cease.

Now becoming frustrated, I checked over everything I'd already done and then looked at my Windows Event Viewer (Win+R, eventvwr.msc), where I discovered that there were a large number of 6008 errors (unexpected shut down). They ALL had their descriptions as "The previous system shutdown at 17:50:33 on ‎20/‎10/‎2017 was unexpected." (with correct timestamp).

At this point I knew something strange was happening. This is the error code for when you force shutdown the laptop by holding the power key. I decided then that perhaps the pressure from my textbook was forcing the laptop to shut down in my bag, despite the bag being a professional laptop bag, with the laptop itself in a professional neoprene laptop padded sleeve. I must reaffirm - the laptop is in a dedicated section of my laptop bag with only 1 thin textbook and 1 thin paper pad, and no other objects.

I then attempted to test if indeed the power button was pressed by mild pressure on the lid when shut, by gently (and I mean gently - i.e. just enough pressure to keep grip of it such to place it in a bag) pinching the laptop in that corner. It seems clear that when closed, the touchscreen is resting on the power button, which stands a millimetre or two proud of the laptop chassis. And any slight pressure exerted on that corner of the laptop will force it to shut down. Pinching any other part of the laptop has no effect.

I then rang HP again, who told me that this issue was effectively none of their business and I had no rights for a refund, or a repair and implied that I was using the laptop unreasonably.

As a college student, this presents extreme issues for me because if I have websites open, or work unsaved, it is often deleted and lost. It is already having a severe effect on my work.

There are no other users talking about this issue on this forum, or on any other site, which leads me to believe this is a fault in my specific unit, not the model.

If this issue is not resolved, I will be returning the laptop for a full refund, and buying a new one from another manufacturer.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you 🙂

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.pngScreenshot_3.pngScreenshot_4.pngScreenshot_5.png

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,517
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@theonereece

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any.  You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).  

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation