cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

HP External Hard Drive Simple Save 1TB

HP Recommended
External Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have several Backup copies on my HP External HD 1 TB Simple Save such that I am running out of space.  Does a later dated Backup contain all the data from the immediately previous Backup plus new data.  If so can I delete some of the or all earlier Backups without loosing any data?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,855 9,844 923 1,577
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @ColinB31 - Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are trying to delete the older backups to save the disc space. Ideally, the old backups should have been over-written by the latest backup, hence it should not be there in the first place.

It looks like the software that you are using to back up the data is using a different algorithm to do the task. Hence, I would suggest you to copy one of the backup files and then try deleting the same. This will eliminate any risk and you can delete the other old backup files as well.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,669
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I have several Backup copies on my HP External HD 1 TB Simple Save such that I am running out of space.  

> Does a later dated Backup contain all the data from the immediately previous Backup plus new data. 

> If so can I delete some of the or all earlier Backups without losing any data?

What are the sizes of each backup file?

If they are steadily increasing in size, because you keep saving files on your computer, this is a good sign that each backup is "independent" of all the previous.

On the other hand, if the software is doing "incremental" backups, each backup will only contain the files that are "new" or "changed" since the previous backup, and the size of each backup will vary.

See: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01824301.pdf

This manual did not say whether it does "full" or "incremental" backups, but it does say that the first backup can take a while.

If you are running the "HP Simple Save Monitor", then it will "incrementally" copy your changed files onto the external device.

That manual has a toll-free number for "support", as well as an E-mail ID for "support".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,669
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Of course, if you are "happy" with the current status of your disk-drive, you can delete ALL the files on the external device, and do a "full" backup, to start over with an "empty" external device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Dvortex.  Thank you for your reply.  I am using HP External Hard Drive SimpleSave 1TB as I bought it and just plugged it in.  If SimpleSave is using different algorithms I am mystified as to why.  There are now five different Back-ups taken at random intervals without any action on my part.  I wish the unit to up-date itself as it says "every five minutes" and then show only one up-date, the last one containing all my data from Day 1?

Please advise How to.

Thanks

Colin 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,669
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> There are now five different Back-ups taken at random intervals without any action on my part.  

And the size (in bytes) of each backup is .... ?

> I wish the unit to up-date itself as it says "every five minutes" and then show only one up-date, the last one containing all my data from Day 1?

If you are running the "HP Simple Save Monitor", then it will "incrementally" copy your changed files onto the external device, if it is connected.

Do you disconnect the external drive, and store it in a separate location (for safety, in case of fire/flood), or do you leave it connected to your computer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To mdklassen.  Hi.  I cannot see any size info anywhere clicking on Updates does not help.  Please advise where to look.

I leave the HP SimpleSave 1 TB Hard Drive always connected to the PC which I turn off at night.  Use to affect loading next day with XP but not with Win 10.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,669
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I cannot see any size info anywhere clicking on Updates does not help.  Please advise where to look.

Click with the second (usually the RIGHT) mouse-button on the name of a folder, and then choose "properties".

That will show you the "size" of all the files/folders inside that folder.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mdklassen.  Thank you for your suggestion but right clicking on any of the Back-ups does nothing.  I am reviewing all copies on my HP SimpleSave unit to see if they are incremental or not and if so is the latest the largest.  I will copy the largest one to another external drive and delete all others.  I am also moving to Google Drive, I don't trust my HP SimpleSave unit since there is no reason for it to change its behaviour once cleaned.  The HP person never did reply again after suggesting it was an algorithm problem when I said I bought, plugged and played with the HP SimpleSave unit without making any changes, why should I have done anything different.

Colin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,669
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> right clicking on any of the Back-ups does nothing.  

I don't understand.  Is it possible that the right mouse-button is broken?

When I right-click, and then choose 'Properties', I see:

Capture.JPG

which definitely shows the "size" of the files/folders inside that folder.

> I don't trust my HP SimpleSave unit since there is no reason for it to change its behaviour once cleaned.  

It seems that it has been working, and adding files to the external disk-drive, as you keep changing the files on your 'C:' drive.

To repeat, if you are "happy" that your 'C:' drive is healthy, just delete everything from the SimpleSave external drive, and tell the Simple Soft software on your computer to do a "full" backup to the external drive.

See how much space that is occupied by that backup, and enable the "monitor" that is supposed to do "incremental" backups.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation