Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
kostik111 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Star Wars Special Edition Laptop, is putting some more force in it possible???

15-an000nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

Recently i bought myself a new laptop, it is the special edition from Star Wars. Frankly i don't have anything with Star Wars, just the laptop itself looked cooled and the specs were ok for the price they sold it.

Anyway i really want to put some more force in it, because after few days using it i don't really like the force it came with.

Before i go crazy with upgrade stuff i wanted to ask experts on this forums if it was even possible.

My Questions are :

1. What kind of DDR3L module should i put in the laptop to make the total amount of 16 GB?

I installed AIDA64 to see what kind of stuff is in my laptop. It showed me that one kit of MICRON 16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 12800 DDR3L  CL9 is inside. 

Because i can't find same cheap module online of this same brand, im wondering if its possible to put another brand next to Micron? I'm thinking of putting HyperX Impact - DDR3L 1600Mhz CL9 SO-DIMM Module - 8GB next to the Micron one. Will i encounter any problems ? They have the same speed and latency so i don't think there will be any problems but i still want to ask this question just to be sure

2. Can i replace the current wireless adapter from stone-age for a newer one?

The title is not a joke. Like serious this adapter is so freakin slow, how could you put it inside this laptop and call it Force??

Anyway i really hate the current wireless adapter, the speeds are dramatic, no dual-band, no AC, just pure crap imho.

I was reading the internet about HP doing some sort of whitelist in bios and scary stuff like that. But if my information is correct HP dont use the whitelists for a few years now.

I took service manual for my laptop and saw that my model ( 15-an000nd) have diffrent wireless adapters all around the world. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04642845

I saw this fella in the manual : Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter 806723-005

Is it possible for me to just buy the Intel 3165, throw my current Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter in the trashcan and enjoy the AC speeds and have the option to use dual band???

Or are there any other options for replacement? I just want to have AC and dual-band. If Intel 3165 is not possible what other adapter choices do i have left?

3. Replace the HDD for a SSD.

I'll just stop making the jokes about the force because it's not funny anymore. The HDD inside this laptop is the bottleneck for just about everything. So i want to put Samsung EVO 850 in it.

I read the sticky thread in this forum, so if i read and understand everything correctly i just have to clone my current HDD with usb to sata cable into the new SSD and i'll be ready to rumble without problems and with the same Win 10 system??

4. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro version.

What is the best way to make this upgrade? Will i loose any settings or is it simple as i think it is? 

Thanks in advace for whoever will reply and help me out with my questions.

15 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
37072 5593 9641
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Star Wars Special Edition Laptop, is putting some more force in it possible???

Good post. Well thought-out questions. Answers:

1. Memory. Yes, you can mix brands as long as the speed, voltage and latency and more particularly, the density is the same. If the old memory has 4 blocks on the side, get another with the same and also true if it has 8. 

2. Wifi. There is no whitelist. However, in some cases where HP includes a poor wireless card, it also means there is only one wireless antenna. If that is the case, upgrade is a nightmare. If there are 2 antenna leads, you can install any other wifi module available in the same form factor (mini pci-e or M.2) with 2 wireless antenna connectors.

3. SSD. You nailed it on the head. In Windows 10 you can even do a system image backup and recover it to the new SSD and you don't have to buy cloning software. 

4. Win 10 Pro. In the system properties page, there is a link to get the higher version of Windows 10, which will lead you to a download page for Pro and you can pay "the man" and do the upgrade. Just be sure you really need Pro. Not very many people do. 

Let us know if there are more questions.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
kostik111 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Huffer!

Thank you for the fast reply! I still have some questions for you if you don't mind:

1. Extra Memory

What exactly did you mean with the density? How the memory blocks are put into the kit?

Like this:

Micron 16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1: 8 pieces of ram

So my second module has to be the same build ? With 8 pieces ram placed.

If i look at the module that i want to insert next to the Micron one it looks like this:

So if i understand the word density this would work just fine together :) ?

2. Another Wireless Adapter

If i understand some articles i read on the internet, 1x1 means there is 1 antenna for internet and 1 for BT. So in my case because i already have 1x1 Realtek adapter, there shouldn't be any problems right? I only look for 1x1

You have other adapters like Broadcom. Intel etc with 2x2 but i think i can expect problems when i try to put 2x2 adapter in it right?

Those are all the adapters listed in the manual that are avaible for Star Wars models:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter (non vPRO) 784644-005

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter 792609-005 26

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter 792610-005

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter 806723-005

So just from my point of view the green ones have to work because i also have 1x1 . But how do i know how many antenna leads i have ? Just open up the case and make a pic ?

3. SSD

Is it true that for the best results you have to get the same size disk? Ex: 1x HDD 1TB ==>> 1x 1 TB SSD.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37072 5593 9641
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are still asking good questions. Thanks. 

1. Density is the number of black blocks. There is really only one company that makes the black blocks, Samsung or one of its subsidiaries. All other memory makers are just assemblers. So when you buy 2 modules like in the 2 pictures you posted, same capacity, speed, same voltage, same latency, same number of black blocks you are essentially buying the same product. Those 2 modules should (will) run fine together in dual channel mode.

2. Actually the 1 x 1 and 2 x 2 do not necessarily mean how many antenna leads it is how many data channels/streams. Buty you can assume a 2 x 2 necessarily has 2 antennae. 2 x 2 is better than 1 x 1 but not exactly always for the reason you state. The best way to see how many antennae there are is to open it up and count them. You are going to have to open it anyway. 

3. Yes, it is easier to clone 2 drives the same size but not impossible to go bigger source to smaller target. I do it all the time since most people will not spend $300 +/- for a 1 TB SSD. The Windows 10 system image backup/restore method works great if you happen to have a usb hard drive available to hold the backup. Download and make the Windows 10 media from media creation tool and use it to restore the system image to even a smaller drive and it will automatically set the right system reserved partitions. Really a no-brainer. If you want to do a true "clone" I use Acronis True Image Home for cloning and it handles SATA SSDs fine and even SATA M.2 mSSDs.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

0 Kudos
Wolverine690 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I have this star wars laptop as well, when I opened it, I had only seen 1 wire.  I did get an Intel 7265 AC WiFi chip.  It has 2 connections.  I connected it to the same spot the other one was in.

I'm running into an issue that the WiFi is really hit or miss, it will generally connect to my 2.4GHz signal no problem & will see it most of the time.  Though the 5.4GHz one is a bit more tricky.  Either it will take it about a min or so after booting up to see it & connect to it or it won't see it at all.  Rebooting it generally fixes this.  Though still takes time to see that connection.

Another issue is I was at a friends house, also a hotel and other places and there are wifi signals there but it's not seeing them.  So I can't connect to them.  For example at my friends house he's got a wireless N router I can't see his network.

The bluetooth seems to work fine, btw.

So are my issues b/c I got this chip and there was only 1 anntenna even though from what I see on my manual stuff it should have 2?  And if there is only 1 then I'm guessing I'm running into the pain that was mentioned above?  So I'm guessing I have to get another kind of wireless chip?  One of the 1x1 ones not the 2x2?

Dave1210 Tutor
Tutor
16 0 0
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same card and the same problem. i tried everything, another windows version, bios update, different drivers. what for card you using now? the same or a another one. i hope you can help me. 

Regards Dave

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37072 5593 9641
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The wireless is just not going to work very well with a single antenna lead. You can add another antenna but it is a huge job, requiring nearly complete disasssembly. Your best bet us a usb wireless dongle. 

Dave1210 Tutor
Tutor
16 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

there are no other wifi adapter with the same specifications for 1 antenna cable?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37072 5593 9641
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's what I am trying to say. No decent wireless card and particularly no dual band card can work as intended with only a single antenna. 

Dave1210 Tutor
Tutor
16 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

is there mabey a way to change from 2.4 or 5ghz. that i use single band on a dual band wifi card.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation