Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Keyboard keys not functioning as they should

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello! I'm sorry for crappy formatting; currently typing via phone. I am also not familiar with technical vocabulary, so please excuse my childish writing.

Yesterday suddenly without any notice, my HP laptop keyboard had gone insane and each key had become off.

For example, when I press the A key, my computer writes AZ1Q. The E key writes DC3E but somehow also opens up the "How to get help in Windows 10" screen as well. I also discovered that P makes my computer airplane mode and W raises the volume, so I'm scared to accidentally press a key that might trigger something wrong. My computer also thinks I am pressing all 4 arrow keys at the same time even though I am touching only one.

I've already done
•restarting several times
•checking Caps and Num Lock
•trying to update the keyboard drivers (it was already the newest one according to the auto update).

I also tried to go in Safe Mode but it required me to re-sign in, and I couldn't type my password.

Is there anything I could do other than sending it for repair? Any advice will be really appreciated. Thank you so much for reading.
1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
2,882 2,654 144 330
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Keyboard keys not functioning as they should

Hi @Petraska,

Welcome to HP Forums! I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that the keyboard does not work as it should be. It gave more letters when you just pressed one. I understand that due to this issue, you cannot log into your computer. 

You can use the onscreen keyboard: Click this icon accessibility.jpgon the start screen. Choose Type without keyboard.

Let me know if you can use the onscreen keyboard login, and post back the product number of your laptop. HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

Looking forward to your reply!

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation