ndaoud360
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop wont sleep/hibernate or shutdown

HP Spectre XT 15 4011nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 4 year old HP Spectre xt 15 4011nr has a 500gb Hitachi hard drive with a 30gb seperate ssd cache in it.

2 months ago I switched out the HD and put a Sandisk 480gb SSD in it. Then a week and half maybe in, the computer when I close the lid or click sleep/shutdown/hibernate, the computer will attempt to do it and the screen will turn off as normal but the computer is still running. It sometimes will not stop running unless I force shutdown with the power button. Sometimes it will shutdown regardless weather I clicked shutdown or sleep but that means I got a BSOD of driver power state failure and then it just turns off. The laptop runs fine other than that.

So I contacted microsoft chat support and they weren't too much help but they said my SSD could be the cause but I'm sure it's not. BUT I switched the sandisk SSD with a Samsung 850 evo but it had the same issue. I even went back to the HD temporarily because that never had the issue but it was still not turning off correctly.

I even refreshed my pc but keeping my personal files and that still didn't fix it.

I assume it is my hardware but how can I figure out what hardware it is that is causing it?

Here is my crash dump file if you want to look at it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6eghde8nho4v2l/091216-6984-01.dmp?dl=0

8 REPLIES 8
Level 17
Level 17
46,905 41,163 4,480 11,688
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you upgraded to Windows 10, have you:

Optimized the SSD? 

Gone to the Intel download website to download and install the most recent appropriate IMEI and Intel Chipset drivers?

You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply was the information you were looking for that helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped by clicking on the
0 Kudos
ndaoud360
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I used the intel driver updater so it updated the graphics driver and the bluetooth driver but it did not fix my problem. 

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Optimize the SSD. 

As seen in the following image.

Use Windows Explorer.

Right-click the SSD.

Select and click on Properties.

Click on the Tools tab and then click on Optimize.

You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply was the information you were looking for that helped you resolve your issue.
0 Kudos
ndaoud360
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It wont let me optimize my drive. I click optimize and nothing happens. Some people do say to switch to ACHI mode via bios to optimize performance but I don't have that option in my bios.  Also my ssd software says I have a volume that is corrupted. I go to check disk and it says restart to fix but since my computer will never shutdown it doesn't fix it. I force shut it down and then restart. It tries to on boot check disk and it tells me to not click anything if I want it to check disk. Regardless of what I do it doesn't check disk. A second later it goes to the lockscreen without checking disk. So I can't fix the bad volume.

I'm not really sure if that is the thing causing the no shutdown/sleep issue but thought I'd mention it anyway. 

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With an SSD you don't need to switch to AHCI. It is taken care of by the OS.

Which SSD software do you mean?

SSD offline diagnostics

https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=offline+ssd+diagnostics+...

Do you have the recovery media for your Spectre XT notebook ?

Had you considered saving all your data to an external disk and then using Diskpart to initialize and prep the SSD?

Information about the clean command.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en

Once the SSD has been cleaned and has a partition on it, you can use the recovery media to return it to the state it was delivered to you from the factory.

0 Kudos
ndaoud360
6 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Software as in Samsung ssd magician which tells me all info about my ssd: life, power management etc. It also tells me achi is not enabled for better performance. I could try diskpark but I don't think all that is needed for my problem
0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Diskpart utility, not "diskpark".

Samsung SSD Magician has been known to cause more problems than it prevents. 

0 Kudos
ndaoud360
6 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I guess it might cause problems but my old SSD Sandisk Ultra II had the same issue. I also cloned my ssd on my old HDD that came with the computer to see and the promblem still persisted.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation