5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My Computer's HDD Reperation Process

Pavilion 13 -b101ntALL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

To Whom It may Concern,

First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Kurtuluş Büyükköse, I am the warranty department manager for Istanbul Kartal Kadıköy Metro Vehicles, in other words I have the full responsibility of all type of failures that are caused by product quality, production errors, or bad assemblies during the production process.

The reason why I am explaining all of these , I have been trying to understand how come a world leader electronics company, like HP, asks money from its customer who has been suffering to lose all his data from his work and who will probably pay around 500 dolars to try to recover the data, just because the HDD of his computer, which is only 1 year old, has been damaged without any bad interference or whatsoever.

Don't you think that in a case like this, Hewlett Packard should have been trying to support its customer on this matter instead of taking advantage of the situation ?

I kindly ask you to share your opinions or comments about my thought,

thanks in deed for your time and effort that you will spend to respond this mail,

Kurtuluş 

[Personal Information Removed]

7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
41,352 39,808 6,212 10,786
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why don't you just tell us what is going on? The people who monitor this are HP employees (some) and volunteers so not sure a poll is going to give any meaningful answers. The answer to your question is it depends on the specific facts of the situation, which you have chosen not to give. 

0 Kudos
KBUYUKKOSE Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ,

Basicalymy 1 year old HP computer's HDD has broken, which I was working at work. I need to recover my data so I requested the faulty HDD, and HP told me that I have to pay for it. I can not understand why I have to pay for it. 

Unfortunately I have not been able to get a satisfied answer from HP Turkey Technical Service about this cost, so I wanted to try to get it on this platform. 

thanks

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So you sent the laptop for repair, the hard drive was replaced, and then you asked to have the old hard drive returned to you? The obvious question is why you did not get the data from the hard drive before you sent the laptop in for repair. When hard drives are replaced under warranty, it is just not within the normal work flow for them to save the old drive. Did you put a note on the laptop when you sent it in so the tech would know not to just throw the drive in some kind of a bin where it cannot be identified? I fear that is the case and the Service Center now could not find your drive if they wanted to. 

0 Kudos
KBUYUKKOSE Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I could not get the data, because I could not switch on the system, it was givng me uninstall drive error. When I went to HP  technical service, the guy told me that itlooked like the hard drive was damaged. So I told him, I needed to save the data of my work, and I asked him in case the HDD needed to be changed, if he could give me the faulty one ( old), so I could try to get the data out of the HDD.

Till this point I did exactly what you mentioned. I thought that it wa my right to get the old HDD. But technical service told me that if wanted the old HDD, I would have to pay for it. In this case they would send my an quotation, and if I accept to pay , they would given it to me wth the computer.

Yesterday they told me that my computer has been already fixed, but the prize offer has not been ready. So I have been at work wthout computer since Monday, becasue HP Turkey service has not decided yet how much they wantto charge for my old HDD.

Do you think that is the right after sale customer service for HP?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is all within industry standard. Once HP replaces the hard drive under warranty they own the old one, not you. The warranty clearly says you are responsible for your data, not HP. For the future you need a backup plan so this does not happen again. Having said that it does appear you were perhaps misled by the technicians. I just hope they still can find your drive and they have not discarded it. That may be why you are getting no response. 

0 Kudos
KBUYUKKOSE Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Just to inform you how efficient your HP Turkey team works;

HP Turkey send me an offer for the old HDD, so I have paid for it. But they have lost it. I can not believe it. And they say it has been a mistake at communication between their departments. They say that they are going to refund my money. They want me to except it.

I would like to ask you frankly,

Would you except it?

thanks

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

They are not my HP Turkey team. Most of the people who respond here, including myself, do not work for HP we are fellow end users. Are they offering to refund the whole price of the laptop? If they have lost it (as I suspected) what is it you want them to do? Going forward you need to have a backup plan for your data, obviously but that is not going to fix the problem with your data now. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation