1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not charging when turned on

15-af156sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

I am having a problem charging my hp 15-af156sa laptop. The laptop will not charge when it is on but charges when the laptop is closed (sleeping) and when the laptop is off. When the charger is plugged in whiltst the laptop is turned on, the laptop will not charge and the battery icon does not state plugged in not charging, it simply does not charge, and the small light next to the charging port has a white light, as opposed to the organge light that turns on when it is charging.

Can anyone help please? how can I fix this?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
15,765 14,098 713 1,904
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not charging when turned on

Hi @strawberrysweet,

Welcome to the HP Forum! It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I understand that when the notebook is on, the battery does not charge. If it is in sleep / hibernation mode or turned off, it will charge. Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10).  When I checked the specifications for your notebook, I noted it came with FreeDOS 2.0. Did you do a clean install of Windows 10 or did you upgrade from another version of Windows? If the battery passes the hardware check, here is something else  to try. The Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery is basically the driver that communicates between the computer and the battery. It is possible it has become corrupted.

Step 1. Go to Device Manager.
Step 2. Select Batteries.
Step 3. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.
Step 4. Click Uninstall.
Step 5. At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver.
Step 6. Shutdown the computer.

Step 7: Remove the battery for a minute and then put it back in.

When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.

Step 8. Go to Device Manager.
Step 9. Select Batteries.
Step 10. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.
Step 11. Click "Search automatically for updated driver software".

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded controller. 

Please let me know if this helped.

Thanks! If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation