Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavillion DV4 notebook SSD upgrade not working

WA686UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have tried twice to upgrade my HP Pavillion DV4 notebook to a Samsung 840 Solid State Drive and the two times it only shows a "J" while trying to boot. The first time I used the Migrate OS to SSD option in Minitool Partition Wizard. The second time I used the copy disk option, with the same result.

Has any1 been successful in upgrading to a SSD? if so, which application was used? TIA.

Manny

1 REPLY
Provost Provost
Provost
36056 5403 9255
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavillion DV4 notebook SSD upgrade not working

Is the SSD recognized in the BIOS? Have you tried starting a clean install or system restore just to see if the SSD is seen? The problem may be in the method you are trying to use to copy the old drive to the new. You should have the SSD connected externally by a usb to SATA cable and then use cloning software running from a bootable disk to copy the internal hard drive to SSD. Problems often arise trying to copy a larger hard drive to a smaller SSD. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation