Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (117 Views)

Plugged in, not charging

Product Name: Ultrabook 4-1101ss
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have been experiencing this issue for a few weeks now. The battery icon indicates my percentage of available battery and then "plugged in, not charging". I have gone through all forums and tried the following:

- Uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery, then shutting down and searching for hardware changes to reinstall. When I click uninstall, it starts uninstalling, then stops, removes it, but this doesn't help.

- Updating the battery drivers and the adapter drivers.

- I ran a battery report to see if there was an issue with the battery (my laptop is 2 years old) and it came out clean.

- I have tried to run the battery fix in the HP troubleshooter, but it comes back with "battery current status unknown".

- I have refreshed the whole laptop, deleting and reinstalling everything.

All the HP fixes on your webpage is only for removable batteries, while mine is integrated and I would have to pick apart the whole laptop to get it out. Of course I have also checked that there are no issues with the charger itself and that there is no smell of burnt plastic etc. in any of the parts.

Hope someone can help as a last resort before handing it in to tech repair.

0 Kudos
PhD Student
Message 2 of 3 (109 Views)

Re: Plugged in, not charging

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Youre on the right track you just need to follow the steps PROPERLY.

Note:  Do it the right way..

1. Go to Device manager and uninstall Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery

2. Turn your computer off completely

3. Unplug the AC Adapter

4. Unplug the Battery

5. Press and hold the power button for 15 secs

6. Put the battery back in

7. Put the charger back in

8. Turn your computer off

Your computer should be working right now

For your reference: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hp-envy-laptop-battery/m-p/57212...

If your using a solid state battery just skip 4 and 6..

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (85 Views)

Re: Plugged in, not charging

No, this doesn't make any difference, thanks for the suggestion though. I assume #8 is supposed to say turn your computer on?

The HP Support Assistant is telling me to install the Intel Smart Connect Technology Driver which is recommended for the battery/power performance. The driver will download, then it says installing for a while, but the installation never completes. I got suggested that this driver might be corrupt, so I tried installing it from Intel's website directly, which worked fine, but my laptop clearly seems to think we still need to install it.

Also, when I followed the steps you suggested and click uninstall the battery driver, a progress bar shows up to indicate the uninstalling, but only for 1 second and it doesn't complete, but the entry is gone from the device list.

All in all it feels like these steps should work, but that there is something keeping me from really uninstalling and resetting the battery.

Any other suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation