1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Power limit throttling

HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion Ck093nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I recently bought a Hp Pavilion ck093nd with an i5 8250u and a mx150. I experience a lot of power limit throtlling. The clockspeed of the cpu drops from 3,4GHZ to 2,4 when i start an intensive task on the CPU. When i play a game this results in a FPS drop to 4 fps for a few seconds. I tried changing the power plan to 'high performace' but this doenst help. Even when the laptop adapter is plugged in, the machine keeps power throttling constantly. 

Is there a way to avoid the power limit throttling? 

Thanks! 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,296 2,020
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @nickwees, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you have issues playing games on your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Does the FPS drop while using the laptop with the Adapter or without the AC adapter?

Please provide the product number of your laptop to assist you better.

As you mentioned when you play games on your PC FPS drops constantly.

Try the steps recommended below.

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

Try updating the BIOS and graphics drivers on your PC.

Link to update the BIOS.

Also, update the graphics driver using this link.

You can update the drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about Improving Video Game Performance or FPS on your PC.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Go to control panel > power safe options > customize any combination you currently have > advanced options > processor power safe > minimum level. Change it to 40% and click apply.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation