cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Simple Pass Fingerprint reader creating problems with latest Win 10 automatic update, 64bit

HP Recommended
Pavillion dv7-7030us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Had no idea when upgrading from Win 7 to 10 with my 64 bit HP i7  dv-7-7030us laptop, that the Simplepass fingerprint device would cause numerous problems.  When active, it renders the mouse unusable; the arrow keeps returning to center screen.  Trying to find a new driver did not work, and the information at the HP site is confusing.  Basically, I do not know how to restore use of the device, and it appears that HP does not want to support any driver for this i7 machine when using Win 10.   Aside from this device, as far as I know the rest of the machine performs correctly.

I Finally was able determine Simplepass was at fault, find the Simplepass driver  in Device Manager and disable it, and for many months and many updates the laptop has been fine without the fingerprint reader in use.  Now, with  a new Win 10 update, Simplepass was activated during the update and again creates the same trouble as before. But when I am able to deactivate it (very difficult, with non-working mouse), the computer will no longer shut down.   Instead, a message says the biometric device app is still running, even though I have disabled it.  I must override the notice in order to shut down, and this is an extra step I'd like to not perform.  I suspect the driver is trying to start or re-install itself, but am not sure.  How do I safely disable this device driver without fully uninstalling it, or, is it completely safe to uninstall the thing?   Least invasive, as I don't want to create more problems.  Again, the driver already indicates it is no longer running (I have it set as "disabled" in Device Mgr) but the OS for some reason thinks it is running. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,216 5,204 270 386
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Mrow22,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Flower_Bud is at your service.

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern, as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said,

You could disable Biometric devices from BIOS or you could uninstall the drivers:

Some types of BIOS allow you to enable or disable individual hardware components. The biometric device is the hardware that controls the fingerprint reader. Depending on the model number of your computer, there are options in the BIOS to turn the biometric device on and off.

To check your BIOS for biometric support and disable it:

1. Press the Power button to start the computer, and press the F10 key to open the BIOS setup utility.

2. Under System Configuration, look for a Biometric Device option; if it exists, disable it.

3. Press F10 to save this setting and restart the computer.

If a biometric option does not exist in your BIOS, then the fingerprint reader is always enabled.

In that case, you could try creating a new user account in Windows 10: Click Here

Keep me posted!

Have a great day 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi  Tried to enter BIOS, did not succeed. On this laptop fn keys combined with other things like?, sound volume etc.  Tried ctl+f10, fn+f10, shift+f10, and other fn keys, didn't enter BIOS.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,216 5,204 270 386
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Mrow22,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Let's perform a power drain and then try booting to BIOS: 

1. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.

2. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

3. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

4. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.

5. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.

6. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.

7. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

Once completed, follow these steps to enter BIOS: 

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second.

If you're unable to enter BIOS, suggest you uninstall HP Simple Pass from Control Panel > Programs and Features.

If the issue still persists continue to next steps:

• Create a new user account to check the functionality. 
  • Perform System Recovery

Note: Please back up your personal files and data before performing System Recovery since it will format your PC and bring it back to its original factory condition. 

Let me know how this goes!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi  I was able to enter BIOS.  I did not see an option to enable or disable the biometric app. The issue is still the same.  I will attempt to uninstall the app from within Windows Installer.  

I was unsure about uninstalling the biometric reader using Revo Uninstaller, Safe Mode setting, as a description of the process led me to believe I could get locked out of my own machine.  

I then looked at the entry for biometric in Device Manager and attempted to uninstall it there, there is an option for that. The device disappeared from Device Manager upon performing the quick uninstall there. But on shutdown, it made no difference, the screen still indicated the biometric program was running.  On re-boot, I reverted to the point before the biometric uninstall in Device Manager.  That took quite a bit of time. 

Now, the Device Manager still indicates the biometric is functional, and the mode is "Disabled"  because the only choice shown is to enable it, which I don't want to do because it will render the mouse not usable.  This is quite a PIA.   I suppose I'll have to leave well enough alone and put up with the shutdown process and the extra message.   Any additional thoughts are appreciated.  The version I have for the biometric was evidently installed on 12/24/17 but I don't recall asking for that.  Regardless, it has not worked properly since I installed Windows 10.   Win 10 has been fine til the latest update, and still works ok except for the biometric issue.  Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,507
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mrow22

Hi,

as @Flower_Bud is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

Please check if the HP SImple pass software exists  in the laptop and try to uninstall it:

• In Windows, search for and openControl Panel. In Control Panel, locate Programs, then click Uninstall a program.

Figure : Uninstalling a program

Uninstalling a program

• In the Uninstall or change a program window, select the program you want to remove from the list and click Uninstall or Uninstall/Changeat the top of the program list.

Figure : Example of uninstalling a program

Image of Uninstall/Change selection

If the issue persists even after uninstalling the HP Simple pass or if it is non-existent there then you may perform a Microsoft Push Button Reset. This will repair your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This can be done either while preserving your personal data and customizations, or removing all your personal data.

If the issue persists then please perform a system recovery as suggested earlier by @Flower_Bud.

Hope this works out. Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation