Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 18 (3,665 Views)

Spectre 13 Overheating

Product Name: HP Spectre 13-v013TU
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

As summary of the below event - I would strongly encourage any customer to note any overheating concerns with regards to the Spectre 

I had just received order of my new Spectre 13 with intel core i7 processor in HK. Upon turning on the laptop with the battery charged while running the HP / windows start-up programs, within a couple minutes, I started noticing the fan is running unusually loud. Subsequently, I notice the laptop between F2 and F7 keys begining to heat up both top and bottom while the metal casing also beginning to heat up and to the point that I left a visible burned redness on my leg which i used an ice pack to cool down. 

I used a baby thermometer which showed a reading of 60 degree celcius. I then downloaded several software to measure the CPU and laptop temperature as per advice from my IT colleagues and the readings averaged between 59-81 degrees celcius while not running any applications in the background whatsoever. I took a picture of the reading as well as voice recording of the fan which I shared with HP which they have ignored as this are not HP softwares. 

I have been in contact with HP aftersales support team for the last few days and aside from the fact that the team is based in Shanghai and the people could not comprehend or speak English to any standard -  I was then transferred to a team manager. HP had collected my laptop and conducted testing on my laptop for over 24hrs as they explain to me and regretfully found no issues as per my description. They  refused to exchange my laptop for a new one and would not refund as this is now my property. They reassure me that there is no issues with the laptop. However when I requested a guarantee that the same overheating will not reoccur - the HP staff becomes unsure and kept using words such as "at this moment" or "right now" that there's no issue however if the problem occurs "they'll guarantee to assist again" and "run further tests to isolate the issue" and if it is a "hardware" problem then they would look to replace the malfunctioning part.

My simplest comment to HP - thank you so much for treating your customers as such. We continue to see product recalls as per your own websites despite countless complaints and feedbacks prior to your generous decision. I have purchased an expensive and so called high-end product yet it is malfunctioning with clear bodily threat to my baby and myself. I have provided evidence to your team while your response is a simple - trust me. There is no formal format for which I can communicate with actual HP staff that actually cares about customer welfare. I thank you and I will look to take it forward to get a satisfying response. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18 (3,654 Views)

Re: Spectre 13 Overheating

@Mc12385

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.
Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Student
Message 3 of 18 (3,197 Views)

Hello,  I was wondering if you were able to get resolve on this issue?  We have a similar one.  Our daughter's $1200.00 Spectra 360 stopped working  (we were told the motherboard was fried) after continuous fan running and overheating with no misuse. It will cost $600 to repair.  It seems to me that the fan is poorly placed and the problem will continue to happen if we decide to repair.

We are now trying to find the best solution and we would appreciate any feedback that you may have. Thanks!

Student
Message 4 of 18 (2,925 Views)

Hi, I had the same problem with my Hp spectre 13 which I paid over $1200.00 for. I called them and I sent it in for two repairs once in august 2016 and once in February 2017 and then I called them and talked to the case manager of the problem I told him a few things how it's annoying at school and while trying to focus he then started counting months and how many repairs happened, He then said I will do the replacement and now I'm receiving the new HP spectre x360 so I would recommend getting your problem to a case manager he will be able to help you the most. Thanks HP

Tutor
Message 5 of 18 (2,415 Views)

I have the same overheating issues on a new HP Spectre x360 – 13-ac001nb. Just bought it 1 month ago.

The last Netbios is installed with HP support.

I have switched off Skype (difficult not to use it because very convenient if working from home)

I try also not to have the power adapter connnected all the time.

It seems a bit lower temperature, but still incredible high.

This laptop is destructing itself slowly. 

There must be a problem. Can you please advice?

Many thanks

Tutor
Message 6 of 18 (2,390 Views)

Finally switched off all possibles applications running in the background. That works!!! remains at 35°

A lot of them were HP applications....

Highlighted
Tutor
Message 7 of 18 (1,970 Views)

Hello--

I love my 2017 HP Spectre x360 13-ac0XX except extreme overheating and fan noise, which is related to overheating. This is how I solved the problem. I decided to limit the CPU and fan work:

1. Download and install this .reg file to enable "Processor performance boost mode" power option in Windows 10.
  2. Navigate to advanced power settings - Control Panel->Power Options->(Balanced) Change Plan Settings->Change advanced power settings
  3. Under advanced power settings this new option is now exposed. Processor power management->Processor performance boost mode.
  4. Change the setting from Aggressive to Disable for both battery & ac.
  5. Go to Processor power management->System cooling and change it from Active to Passive on ac (it is Passive on battery).
  6. Reduce CPU maximum from 100% to 80% of CPU usage

Now, I enjoy very quiet and cool laptop (it is getting warm but never heating)! For my use of the laptop, I don't see much difference in its performance. I'm sure that the battery works longer. Enjoy!

Tutor
Message 8 of 18 (1,928 Views)

Thank yo for this information.

How/where do you do the last point 6?

Many thanks

Tutor
Message 9 of 18 (1,925 Views)

By default for 5: it is "Active on battery", not passive

Tutor
Message 10 of 18 (1,909 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry for being unclear!

6. Navigate to advanced power settings - Control Panel->Power Options->(Balanced) Change Plan Settings->Change advanced power settings>Processor power management->Maximum processor state. Set it to 80% for battery and AC (the default was 100%)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation