Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 15 (4,725 Views)

Spectre x360 gets HOT.

Product Name: Spectre x360 15t
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just finished setting up my second Spectre x360 15t. The first one was a driver and screen flickering mess. As I'm finishing putting it through it's paces by running audio with a few tunes through Spotify and then over to Netflix to check dialogue, I've become aware that the fan has been running for some time. When I picked it up to feel the underside I was quite dismayed to feel how hot this thing was. Not cozy up to the fire hot but call the fire department hot. It was on a Xpad which was starting to get a bit toasty itself. No way this could ever sit directly on my lap. I know this is an ultrabook. I know i7 processors run warm under load but this fella gets HOT. I'm coming off a Spectre 13t with an i5 which is just as tight a unit as this one, but it never reached this kind of hot. I'm humorously concerned if I can put this on my desk while under heavy load without melting the finish off. Is anyone else experiencing similar circumstances? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Retired
Message 2 of 15 (4,697 Views)

Re: Spectre x360 gets HOT.

Hi @benefit13,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the computer getting hot. I will be glad to help you.

Please post the full product number and operating system in use on your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

please get back to me and I will help you.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
Message 3 of 15 (4,691 Views)

Spectre x360 15-AP012DX. Purchased through Best Buy but it's the same ready to ship model available through HP (15-ap052nr). Windows 10 -64 bit, 16GB RAM, 256 HD, 4K screen. And speaking of heat, when I picked it up today after sitting on the charger last night, I was also curious to find the unit to be warm across the bottom. I know there's a pretty big battery down there but isn't the charging system designed to shut off after reaching 100%. I am trying really hard to stay in love with this unit. But after the original's failure and my concern over the high heat this one seems to generate, I'm getting fairly concerned. Does the 13t exhibit the same sort of problems? Is this running so hot because it's pushing a 15.6" 4K screen up the hill. I wanted the larger screen - but I'm not married to it. I'd appreciate your input and suggestions. Thanks.

Retired
Message 4 of 15 (4,687 Views)

Hi @benefit13,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Here are some document to help.

Why Computers Generate Heat

Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

Blinking or Flashing Screen After Upgrading to Windows 10

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :)

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
Message 5 of 15 (4,683 Views)

I truly do appreciate your taking the time to respond to my post given the sheer volume of HP customers seeking solutions. However, forwarding the referenced articles wasn't really the information I was hoping for. I know why the components of a computer get hot. Dust is not the problem in a 24 hour old laptop. I was looking for information regarding this particular Laptop. I've read a variety of posts in a number of forums where people with these Spectre x360's have questioned high heat conditions. I would still be thankful for any current info as to how to combat the extreme temperatures my computer can reach. Thanks again.

Intern
Message 6 of 15 (4,007 Views)

It is quite shocking that nobody has answered this query since it was raised earlier this year. Does HP not care?

I too have the same issue and was looking for explanations. I have come to the conclusion that it is a design problem. It is not the sole design problem, there are several others. I will be returning my unit and seeking a full refund. If that is not forthcoming then I will seek legal action.

By the way, I will not be buying HP again, your kit might look nice and pretty but if it is fundamentally flawed in its design then it is a big fail.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 15 (3,396 Views)

Good evening everyone,

I dont know what to think, this ismy  second HP spectre, as first was heating up  as the same day when i bought. I took it to HP centre and i got the feedback of "motherboard issue''. Then i gave it back in addition with big headache i took my money back.

I dont know why i bought second time also HP spectre!! I am very regreting because its heating up the same.

Now i dont know what to think, is all HP spectre has an issue of motherboard or the heating up procces is normal for this laptop? Please if somebody facing the same issue, or who have find out the answer, share with me the details. 

Regards,

Safiya

Top Student
Message 8 of 15 (3,332 Views)

I've had the exact same issue with my new Spectre X360.  The new version released in November.  It got taken in to get a new heatsink and fan and it has made no difference.  I've owned about 12 different laptops over the last 15 years and none have gotten anywhere near as hot as this does (when I'm just browsing the net to!).  This is a $3400 AUD laptop so I'm really surprised.  My Dell XPS 13 runs completely cool.

Intern
Message 9 of 15 (3,319 Views)

[ Edited ]

My quite new Spectre was getting too hot, the Speccy app showed that the temperature was getting to an extremely hot 83  C when carrying out normal operations at no more than 50% CPU load. Then one day I got a system error message stating fan failure (although I could still hear the fan, so the motherboard just cried out and shut down to protect itself!

The laptop was then sent away for repairs - 6 weeks!!!   When it returned, i started reinstalling Office and Firefox and then once again, fan failure error and auto protection shutdown!!!

So HP had already changed the fan and MB. Now it failed again. But I think the fan is not broken, definitely not the second one. What i think is happening is a DESIGN ERROR. The fan and overall small design of Spectre is not ventilated sufficiently. The fan can only operate to a certain level. But the motherboard overheats and closes down and may be gets damaged too.

As I said, in my opinion, it is a serious design error and HP need to recall these units. I am now going through the refund process. ,No way is my Spectre of merchantable quality. Terrible product - secksy but not functional.

Top Student
Message 10 of 15 (3,308 Views)

I'd be fascinated to know if this is an issue with everyone or just some? Do other people just out up with it running hit and never out it under enough cpu strain to end up blowing the motherboard like you did? Either way, I find it crazy that HP are charging this much for this laptop when a ‰ of them are defective.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation