Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Thunderbolt 3 Dock compatible with Spectre x360?

HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac001tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP Spectre x360 13-ac001tu for personal use and my work machine is a HP Elite x2 1012 G1

Currently at home I have a kensington USB-C dock at home, which is absolutely hopeless, and a HP Elite 90W Thunderbolt 3 Dock at work, which runs seamlessly (only tested my work device).

I was wondering if there is some reason that the HP Elite 90W Thunderbolt 3 Dock would not work for both devices at home? 

I note the x360 is not listed in the compatable devices, although I can't think of a logical reason why it wouldn't work and I am posting here in the hope that someone can enlighten me one way or another.

I was going to purchase the Thunderbolt 3 dock for home, but beforehand thought I would ask. It isn't possible to just connect the x360 to my work dock and test out unfortunately (hence why I am asking here).

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi. I have just bought a Spectre x360 (13-ac033tu) recently. Looking for a good working TB3 docking station as well.

I am very interested in this HP Elite 90w TB3 dock as well. Would you mind to share if you got the chance to test it out already? TIA.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
27,522 27,476 2,272 3,464
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Julyer

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you and Congratulations on the new computer 😉

As I understand you want to know about the compatibility of the HP Elite 90w dock with your x350 PC,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you check the compatibility list of the docking station on its user guide/specifications?

While you respond to that, here's the list for your information on the docking station you've mentioned:

Compatible with HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE; HP Elite X2 1012 G2; HP EliteBook x360; HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet; HP EliteBook Folio G1.

The docking station is only supported by commercial products and what you seem to have is a Spectre x360 (consumer product),

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the response.  I have actually read many websites and read many docs(includes the HP materials) before I posted on this forum to get real life use feedback as I found Asciant has the exact match of both my items.

I am aware that the dock is offically not "supported".  But what I would like to find out is, if it is working like many other 3rd party docks.  

I have read some feedback that it works except the power button, etc, which is totally acceptable for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
27,522 27,476 2,272 3,464
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Julyer

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

If you are already aware of the pros & cons,

And you want to get the device, it's your call.

Make a wise choice is all I can say, considering the circumstances, as an HP employee I just cannot tell you to go for it, though it wouldn't support your device.

I hope you understand my predicament 🙂

And have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
Level 3
22 18 0 16
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the newest version of the Spectre (8th Gen Intel) and despite HP not offering their own "supported" docking solution for dual display output while charging, they have also blocked charging on all 3rd party docks via DRM.   

Any update on an officially supported Thunderbolt 3 dock for the Spectre x360 15in? If not, will HP stop blocking us from using other solutions to make the technology (USB-C Power Delivery spec) on this $2000 laptop work as its supposed to? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually that appears to be incorrect.  I have the new Spectre (goooorgeous!) and am using the OEM charger with an iOgear dock from Best Buy and it charges just fine.  It pops up a warning (HP) that "HP recommends using an original power adapter from HP." but it's still charging.  Could be they restrict the amount of power delivered to the PC, but that's partly restricted by the design of the dock also. 

Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a HP Spectre x360 and a HP Elite 90W thunderbolt 3 dock.  It works fine for the most part - it charges the device, dual screens running ok.  The problem I have is that while the USB ports do work fine, when I have a keyboard/mouse plugged in, I get terrible mouse lag and stuttering and the keyboard repeating characters as if a key is getting stuck.  If I plug either the keyboard or mouse directly into the Spectre they work fine.  The issue is exactly as reported here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/thunderbolt-dock/td-p/5628125 although this is for the Zbooks and docks, the problem is identical.  Their problem was eventually fixed with a BIOS update to the Zbook.  I have latest everything on mine but nothing has solved the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My spectre x360 15 ch-00xx and TB3 dock do not work together - I can only charge laptop 😞 Any help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same Spectre x360 15 ch-00xx  and am hoping to buy a dock. Have you made this work?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation