2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Trying to Install Windows 8.1 Pro on New SSD Cannot be Detected 3F0

HP ENVY dv7-7332ea
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I've searched around the forum but can't seem to find an answer, so here it goes:

I want to install a new Windows 8.1 Pro onto this new SSD I have bought for my Envy Dv7-7332ea. I have replaced the old hdd with ssd through original sata cable but I noticed:

- my current bios F.2D does not have the option for me to view hard disk info - so I cannot be sure if the new ssd is even detected.  I don't have any extra sata cable currently so the only way I can assume this ssd is working is that it's brand new and does get slightly warm after being connected. 

- Windows 8.1 installation could not locate the drive at all

Google could not give me a solution as people who had similar issues went dead after lacking of details and I cannot figure out why its not detecting the drive. 

It seems that people tend to use SSD as 2nd drive for HP so I am not sure if I can run this laptop solely from a SSD. 

Any input would be appreciated. 

Best

Zi

2 REPLIES
Not_a_ghost Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any one? 

I guess the tl;dr version of my question is:

How can I get the laptop to recognize a brand new ssd as its primary drive, so I can install a clean Windows 8.1 Pro on it.

I could not figure out why it is not recognized when attempting install Windows and with the bios limitation, I cannot detect the ssd. 

Also the Windows 8.1 Pro is an OEM version that I have purchased so not the original HP backup disk. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Not_a_ghost

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. Here at the Forums, you can find solutions, suggestions and helping hands! If I understand correctly, you are having an issue getting your SSD to be recognized on your HP ENVY dv7-7332ea Notebook PC. 

Please remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues and then try to restart the Notebook again. 

Have you tried a hard reset?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Have you done a BIOS reset?

What size is the new drive?

What kind of SSD is it?

Follow these steps to remove and reseat memory modules to see if that helps:

1. Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the cover to access the memory.

3. Remove all of the memory modules in the computer.

4. Reinsert all memory modules.

5. Replace the service cover, battery, and power cord.

6. Turn on the computer.

If that does not work, please try to perform a BIOS Recovery manually please follow these steps:

• Turn off the computer.
  • Plug the notebook into power using the power adapter.

While the computer is still off:

• Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold down the Power button on the notebook for one second.
  • Release the Power button and the keys.

By following these steps the BIOS will reach the UEFI partition in order to recover the BIOS to the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive. For information on how to restore the BIOS refer to the HP support document:  Restoring the BIOS

If the key combination does not work, complete the following steps to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup settings:

1. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.

2. Select Load Setup Defaults.

3. Select Save Changes and Exit (pressing F5 and the Enter key will also load the Setup Defaults).

4. Press Esc and then Enter to exit Setup.

You can take a look at this thread on the HP Support forums also called using recovery discs on new SSD. It was a solution for someone else and might help you. 

Others joining in might have the same issue and if you feel this post has helped you, or could help others, please click the Accept as Solution button.

You can also say thanks or give a virtual high five easily by clicking the Thumbs Up.

Thank you for joining in with your experience!

Let me know how this goes and what the results of the troubleshooting steps provided were. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help! 

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation