Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

USB Type C compliance

HP Recommended
hp spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a usb type c spectre late last year (the rose version with i7 and 512GB.  It generally works well but so far the power system is very disappointing.  

The basic issue is I purchased this device specifically because it purports to be USB Type C compliant.  That means I should be able to charge the device with any usb type c charger provided it meets the technical specs (e.g. 45 watts and so forth).  But it doesn't.  Instead, the software settings seem to make it in effect a proprietary set up.  If so, this is objectionable and possibly contrary Australian consumer law.  

The problem is that I can only charge the device with the supplied charger.  

The first issue is the charger is excessively heavy and bulky.  Why does the world's slimmest and lightest laptop have such a bulky charger.  It's comparable to the laptop itself.  This is just dumb!

The second issue is I can't use the rest of my USB Type C set up including a large battery, and a charger in my car.  Nor can I use my phone charger.  So I have to drag the HP charger everywhere.  

The third issue is that only 1 of the 3 ports actually charges other devices at the USB Type C spec.  The 2 lighting ports are not USB Type C at all - they are just 3.1 with a usb type c connector.  So they only charge the phone at 20 per cent, the phone won't transfer data, and various peripherals such as a bluetooth keyboard/mouse don't have enough juice to function.  

HP's USB Type C implementation does not appear to be compatible with the USB Type C standard.  It appears to be an attempt to force consumers into purchasing a proprietary supplementary charger and battery.

That appears to be a form of third line forcing.  It is also possible the presentation of the device as USB Type C compliant is deceptive and misleading. 

Is there a software fix for this problem or is it a warranty issue for HP?  Grateful for your views.  

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,560 42,349 6,757 11,801
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please provide your exact model number. I also have the Spectre 13 "world's thinnest" and have been able to charge from a smaller 45w adapter. It is HP branded, however. I am also able to charge my phone from any of the three ports so not sure what is going on with yours. There is a BIOS update about 6 months old now that is supposed to improve USB-C charging. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for your comment.  Details below - except I have the 512 GB version.  

Your comment that a different 45 W HP charger works highlights the very problem.  It seems HP has implemented a block on any other chargers being used.  It is not compliant with the Type C standard, possibly raising a deceptive and misleading conduct issue and also a third line forcing issue (forcing consumers to purchase an HP charger/battery instead of any USB Type C compliant charger battery.  

On the phone charging, yes all three ports charge the phone, but the two lightning ports do not activate the charging rapidly legend on the phone.  On checking, the net charge (amperes) reported by the ampere amp is only around 20 per cent of the charge from the type C port.  So it takes more than 4 times as long to charge.  In addition, when using the lightning ports, the phone does not come up as an external drive in windows explorer.  Even if it came up, the rate of data transfer could be expected to be well below the rate for the USB Type C port.  

HP Spectre Laptop (13.3")

SKU:T9Y18AV_1

• Intel® Core™ i7-6500U (2.5 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores) + Intel® HD Graphics 520 (with 8G memory)
  • No DVD or CD Drive
  • HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone
  • 3" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA BrightView Corning® Gorilla® Glass WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
  • 8 GB LPDDR3-1866 SDRAM (onboard)
  • 256 GB PCIe® NVM™ M.2 SSD
  • 4-cell 38 Wh Li-ion polymer
  • Intel® 802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo
  • Security Software Trial
  • Full-size island-style backlit keyboard
  • HP Spectre - 13t Laptop
  • No Additional Office Software
  • Windows 10 Pro 64
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation