Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Overall very satisfied with the performance of the Elitebook 8760W. One thing that is now seriously getting on my nerves though is the overactive and noisy cooling fan when using it in a docking station with an external screen connected.

I have seen in other messages that this was a problem that was addressed with a BIOS update for VGA connections. That update however did nothing for me.

What can be done to stop this fan from being so "active" all the time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

in that case you may need to use the BIOS f.21 that shoudl take care of issue.

please refer to document below

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp;jsessionid=0rW2TTqK2h2j6QvFd5Md40yhdmP...

download link is here

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54885.exe

hope it helps resolve issue.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

change the FAN always on setting in BIOS. under Device configuration there is option available to change FAN activity from always on.

just disable the FAN Always on when on AC power - that shoudl help.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
HP Recommended

I have now run the solution you suggested a few weeks, but this does not reduce the amount of time the fan is on at high speed when the computer is in the docking station when I am using an external monitor (HP LA2405wg) and the laptop display. the "low level" sound of the fan always being on I can live with, it is when it kicks into "high gear" the noise really gets irritating.

when I am just running the laptop with its own screen the fan rarely comes on in "high speed" mode. When I however switch on the external monitor the fan is on almost constantly.

Is there any way to reduce this? I have seen notes on this model in the forums that seem to say they have the same issue when directly connecting a display to either the "old" VGA display connection or the new "Display Port" connector.

Is this therefore a problem related to the graphics card and temperature settings?

HP Recommended

Hi,

in that case you may need to use the BIOS f.21 that shoudl take care of issue.

please refer to document below

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp;jsessionid=0rW2TTqK2h2j6QvFd5Md40yhdmP...

download link is here

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54885.exe

hope it helps resolve issue.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I must say that I still have the problem although I have the latest BIOS installed. 

Every time in plug in my VGA external monitor  GPU Shader Clock (950Mhz), GPU Geometry Clock (475Mhz) and GPU Memory Clock (627Mhz) step up to full throttle. 

When I unplug the VGA external monitor in matter of saconds all the clocks fall down to normal GPU Shader Clock (101Mhz), GPU Geometry Clock (50Mhz) and GPU Memory Clock (67Mhz).

I don't understand what seem to be a problem. it is very annoying when core clocks step up, incresing the GPU Temperature and spinning the GPU Fan to maximum.

It would be really nice to have the solution for this problem.

I'm running Win7 Pro with all current updates. I have also updated all the drivers for the laptop through HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

I have similar problems on a hp 2560p (BIOS version dec. 2011)  running Win7 64 bit: Disturbing fan noise when on AC (only), and when docked+AC (one external screen only).

WW, would you please clarify step by step how to access the BIOS and "Device Configuration" to disable the "Fan always on when on AC power" setting?

Best regards

Soren  

HP Recommended

I have the same problem (Elitebook 8760w), and also running the latest BIOS firmware...

Anyone found a solution yet ?

HP Recommended

Dear WaseemW

Will your solution (using BIOS f.21) to 'external monitor caused fan noise' also wotk on a Elitebook 2560p?

Best regards

Soren

HP Recommended

Hi Soren,

It depends on what is the setup you have. running the PC on latest BIOS(F.2A) and latest graphic drivers(8.15.10.2559 (22 Feb 2012)) can help in most situation.

link for win7 drivers is here.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=ca&prodNameId=5071203&...

Good Luck !!!!

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.