Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 45 (23,254 Views)

spectre x360 battery charging issues

Product Name: HP Spectre x360
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased my laptop this past April and it has stopped charging.  I thought it was the charger since my guinea pig chewed the mickey mouse cable a bit, so I got a replacement in the mail.  However, replacing the cable did not solve the issue.  The partially chewed cable worked up until the day I installed Windows 10, coincidentally.  I'm just wondering if it's possible that installing Windows 10 could have caused some unkown bug to cause my laptop to stop charging.  I really don't think it's the charger since it is brand new.  Please can anybody help me?  Thank you.

P.S. The laptop battery is dead so I cannot turn it on to check drivers or bios.

Top Student
Message 2 of 45 (23,215 Views)

Re: spectre x360 battery charging issues

The exact same thing happened to me. I received a new adapter and power cord from HP, as my Spectre is only 5 weeks old. The new power cord and adapter didn't work and now my laptop won't even turn on. I wish I could help, but I have no idea what to do to fix my own laptop since it won't turn on. 

Tutor
Message 3 of 45 (23,181 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ditto Ditto I would be the third in this thread with exactly the same symptoms but no-one seems to have a response.

Here's confirmation of what happened:

4 Apr 2015 Purchase 360 from HP in the UK - worked fabulously

30 Jul 2015 Upgraded to Windows 10

8 Aug 2015 Since upgrade, very light occassional use, maybe not even powered in as on holiday in Greece since the 1st Aug however I needed to sat down to do some work and laptop just switched off after a few hours of continuous use even though it was plugged in.  No low battery warning or anything.   After that would not switch on but I did some diagnosing focussed around the charger itself and listening to the charger brick, it made an unusual fast ticking sound - rather than the usual sort of hum you get from a transformer, perhas a relay gone mad so I assumed that the charger had failed.  I called HP support from Greece and they agreed with my assessment and quickly dispatched a replacement charger to my home.  The laptop could not be used any further till I got home.

16-Aug-2015 Got home and found the replacement charger waiting for me (well done HP for delivering so quickly) and I plugged it in and lo and behold, the laptop started working again so I immediately assumed that my diagnosis was correct and the charger was at fault BUT i did not notice if the power light came on on the side nor did I check the power settings or icons - I simply got on with some urgent work.   After about an hours use, the laptop suddenly stopped again.  No warning, just gone dead and would not turn on again.  I thought, not a second faulty charger so I listened to the brick and this time, it hummed as normal - not a ticking sound.   Also the level of hum stepped up when plugged into the laptop compared and hum down when you unplug the charger from the laptop.  No indication of a loose connection with the laptop but the little white power light refuses to come on.  

But if the hum is changing, when plugged in, surely the laptop is still drawing power in its dead state causing the hum note to change (as you would expect).   But still it refuses to come back to life, even leaving it for a while.  I then had a thought and pulled out the old laptop charger and plugged it in - the laptop response remained the same - it would not turn on plus no white light.  I then listened to the brick - it hummed now as normal and comparably to the new charger - the ticking sound had gone.

This leads me to conclude that perhaps there was nothing wrong with the charger originally - the ticking noise could be a red herring to do with the rather dubious Greek island electrics and wavering levels of AC current.  So maybe the problem is with the laptop itself and more interestingly with Windows 10 - the problems do start after its install as observed by the first poster above.   Did the Windows 10 upgrade do something to break the device drivers controlling the power so now the laptop does not know where it is.  Hence no warnings about power loss etc.?  Since I do not recall seeing anything in the systray about power ( I wish I checked and paid attention before beginning work), perhaps there is no power management but still the laptop is able to draw power to charge but does not know it has power to turn on?   Why did it turn on for an hour earlier today - it cant be a case of turning a device low on power on and off again as it would not last an hour or so?  

Anyone got any other ideas?    I really need my laptop back as return to work tomorrow. 

Top Student
Message 4 of 45 (23,166 Views)

I sent my laptop back last week. According to the FedEx tracking info, HP went receive it until Wednesday. They shipped the box to me with 2 day shipping, but cannot have me send my laptop back with 2 day shipping? That really angered me, as there is no need to make me wait even longer for them to fix this problem.
I'm worried they won't have a fix and they'll want to reimage the machine with Windows 8.1, which is NOT a fix, it's just a bandaid. They need to find the problem with the driver and fix it rather than do a roll back. I do NOT want my laptop reimaged, nor do I want Windows 8.1 again.
Teacher
Message 5 of 45 (23,016 Views)

Did you get a successful resolution?

Mine just died tonight with the same symptoms.

Was using it as normal, battery was down to about 12 percent. Plugged it in, didn't check if the charging light had come on and left it on the desk. Came back 20 minutes later, laptop is off, no charge or power light.

Does not respond to pressing, holding or repeatedly tapping the power button or plugging-unplugging the charger. Very frustrating as this is the second time I have had charging/battery issues with this model (first one was replaced by shop as DOA).

So Caroline or TourPro, any updates on your situations with fixes? Any word from HP as to the cause?
Honor Student
Message 6 of 45 (22,848 Views)

I had the same experience last night. As I was charging my HP Spectre while I was working, it suddenly went dead. After a while, I could power it on again, but the battery wouldn't charge. Now it is completely discharged and my laptop is just an inert brick even when connected to the power supply. I had upgraded to Windows 10 about a month ago. Until now, everything was fine with the battery even after the upgrade.

Does anybody have any further updates on this issue?

Aum Amrteshvaryai Namah!

Regards,

Sethu.

Aum Amrteshvaryai Namah!
Regards,
Sethu.
Teacher
Message 7 of 45 (22,839 Views)

I returned mine for repair. The motherboard was replaced, but that replacement also failed. Another replacement was ordered and apparently it is working now, it was sent back on Friday, so I should receive it tomorrow.

It's been about 4 weeks in total. I really hope it lasts a few years rather than months this time!
Tutor
Message 8 of 45 (22,813 Views)

Just thought I would update you guys.  turned out to be a drama - I only got the laptop back last month and it works now.

The issue was a failed motherboard which others have reported on this thread.  However the way you can tell (apart from the laptop being completely dead) is that the little white light next to the power input socket must light up when live power is plugged in - either orange when charging or white when fully charged.  No light = failed motherboard assuming your power adaptor works.

ok Fine - HP managed to turn around my repair in a couple of days after collecting it which is amazing BUT HP warned me that before I return the machine, I was responsible for retrieving data since replacing the motherboard will result in scrubbing the machines hard drive.  Retreival is not is not easy  on a dead latop so I had to get a local PC shop to do this for me but they struggled since the Spectre has a new kind of solid state drive and the PC shop had to order a new connector which took weeks and meanwhile this shop was poor and scratched my beautiful Spectre and lost a screw from the back.

Again credit to HP for the speedy retrieval and repair once I got the data off it and allocating the same support person to support me through the process BUT they failed to replace the missing screw?  Why?  But above all, why dont HP offer a retrieval service when it is their fault the machine failed.  I was without a machine for 2 months because of this.

Good luck with getting your machine working as quickly as possible

Honor Student
Message 9 of 45 (22,742 Views)

I have to add myself to this growing list of folk with battery charging issues.

Fortunately I noticed the icon change shape from charging to not charging, and checked/changed outlets.  Uh oh.

I did a quick search for the issue and must thank everybody in this thread because it made me realize this was very serious.  

I had finite time to get critical data off the drive, so scrambled to sync with Dropbox, plugged external drives into every USB and offloaded my data in time.  I still tried to do a mirror image backup to save my apps, but that is 5-6 hour job, and not enough juice left.

HP tech support were helpful but a second adapter was their solution. I got the new brick this afternoon. I am impressed and grateful because HP sent this overnight from their Kentucky facility. Great service!

Sadly it did not work. I can confirm with a previous poster, however, that the brick does make a faint ticking noise. My problem also happened about a couple of months after upgrading to Win10 and the many updates since then.

Back on the phone to HP tech support - the telltale diagnosis is that plugging in the new brick (first time only) makes a little flicker on the LED next to the plug inlet when you open the lid and press the power key.  After that it is solidly dead. That flicker evidently says "motherboard replacement" and HP are sending me a box to return the laptop.

The tech support could not confirm that my SSD data would survive the MB replacement, but assured me that the unit would be returned to me in factory condition. Oh great!

I asked tech support whether I would void the warranty if I had SSD removed and imaged before returning the laptop. He assured that it was ok to do that as long as nothing got damaged.

After some more research, it seems reasonably easy to remove the 512gb SSD MYSELF and place it in an external SSD USB enclosure (cost $25) and image the SSD drive to another external USB drive (through a working computer of course).  Then replace my SSD (after wiping sensitive data) in the dead laptop and send it to HP. Saves paying $100+ to a local tech and waiting for a week or more.

I found these guides:

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04055643.pdf (page 30)

http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/hp-spectre-pro-x360-disassembly/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIup-IcGYo0

Has anyody done this themselves? Any issues encountered? Or simply not advised for a non-professional or non HP-approved tech?

Many thanks!

Mike

Top Student
Message 10 of 45 (22,712 Views)

I have the same problem as well.. it suddenly stopped and wouldn't charge or start. Unfortunately I bought it in US and they can't service it in India.
I'm stuck with a dead laptop.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation