Person5
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Abrupt power-offs possibly linked to battery

HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Spectre x360 Convertible that's just under two years old.  In the last few months, it started freezing randomly and unexpectedly - no error message or anything. I would just need to force shut down and reboot.  That problem seems to have subsided a bit, but now my computer will randomly shut down completely - again no warning or error message of any kind. This has been happening for a few weeks now and I've noticed a few things:

- I THINK (because I wasn't keeping close track when it first started happening) that these shut-downs only occur when it is unplugged. I've noted that at various times the battery has read 33%, 60% 70% and finally today, it shut down when the battery was full and just a few minutes after I had unplugged it.

- Since it only happens when it's unplugged, it seems linked to battery. It seems like each time it happens the battery is more full (and now I'm very worried that when I unplug it again it will turn off immediately, since the most recent shutdown happened after less than five minutes of being unplugged)

- Once it shuts down, it won't re-boot until I plug it back it (again, even when the battery read 99%)

Is the battery just toast, even though it appears to be charging normally and reads like it's depleting normally?  Is there anything I can do to make this very frustrating issue stop? I have recently checked for updates and seem to be up on them, although I read in a different forum that perhaps a BIOS update is needed (though the problem listed there was slightly different from mine in that they didn't link the random shut downs to battery).

Thanks for any insight on this!

4 REPLIES 4
Person5
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE: I'm guessing the battery is indeed going caput, because the most recent time I unplugged, the shutdown was immediate.

0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,357 11,477
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key and run the Component tests. Battery, charger, system board

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Person5
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I tried it and ran the tests (there was no "Charger" option, but I ran the "AC Adapter" test, which I figured might be the same thing). Everything passed, though the battery's charge capacity is 67%.  After the diagnostics, I booted up and unplugged.  Immediate power-off.

0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,357 11,477
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Person5

The battery has lost a good bit of capacity and may likely give varying degrees of (false) charge % during running. Doesn't really explain sudden shut down immediately after unplugging power. I would run the F2 test a couple of times-have seen it change too.

Did you also test system board or motherboard? Seeing a lot of motherboard failures last few months in Spectre x360 40xx series.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation