Topaz1
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Back up Windows 7

Pavilion dv6-2150us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

How do I make a back up on Windows 7?  I have followed the instructions in the manual and it does not work.  Additionally, I have check with You Tube and do not find clear instructions.  I need someone to talk at my level.  Kept it simple and do not assume I should know something or else I would not be here asking.  Thanks   

5 REPLIES 5
Level 15
Level 15
18,846 18,788 1,756 4,154
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Back up Windows 7

@Topaz1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I have been doing Windows backups for a long time and what I have found works best is doing an Image Backup -- which involves backing up the contents of the OS drive to a single compressed file.  This same file can later be used to restore Windows if needed.

I personally prefer to use third-party Recovery solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Topaz1
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Back up Windows 7

Thanks for the reply.  I do have a Recovery Disc for Window 7, so I do not need image backup if this dulicate this.  I am looking for what I should back up and how.  Do I backup (c), since I have recovery?  I do want photo, documents, desktop icons.  How do I do favorities in IE-Yahoo?  Do I need to backup e-mail contacts or are they always there when I go to yahoo?  As you can see I know little.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
18,846 18,788 1,756 4,154
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Back up Windows 7

@Topaz1

A Windows recovery disk and an image backup are very different things.

The first allows you to restore the Windows OS -- and that applies only to the OS, not to your entire setup.

The second allows you to restore your entire setup, not just the OS, but also the apps, settings, and your data.

You can make an image backup to disks, but that takes 3-4 DVDs, not a single disk.

For what you want, you need an image backup, not an OS backup.

The Recovery partition will only restore the ORIGINAL Windows, including the OS, the drivers, and the HP apps.  It will NOT restore your data, settings, or any apps you have installed.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Topaz1
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Back up Windows 7

Thanks, again.  Is Image Backup the same as cloning?  I have heard that with cloning one could continue any viruses that was in the old system when restore is needed. 

0 Kudos
Topaz1
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Back up Windows 7

I did research om imaging and cloning now I know the difference.  I still have the question about viruses being restored  from the image?  Last question, if I do imaging, then I can get rid of my new restore media that I just created for Windows7, since it is not needed-- correct?  Thanks!!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation