10-12-2011 03:29 AM
Product name: Compaq CQ40 310au
OS: Windows XP Professionals
Error: Beep codes
Hi! Can anyone help me on how to diagnose and troubleshoot my laptop. Upon running dxdiag it displays that my BIOS is Default System BIOS. Where can I find the corresponding meaning/message of the beep codes? Below is a link where I found some of the BIOS manufacturer but failed to locate mine.
On the above link there is a section for Compaq BIOS, but I think this is not what I'm looking for since the beep that I hear when turning on my laptop are 3 short beeps.
Note: After the 3 short beeps my laptop is able to load the OS and I'm able to use it "normally".
Thanks in advance..
10-12-2011 05:25 AM - last edited on 02-21-2017 03:19 PM by OscarFuentes
Here is a reference for beep/blink codes from HP. In BIOS test the memory modules. You may also test them by removing both and trying them in the slot closest to the cpu by powering up afterwards. When you find the module that does not allow booting up without beep codes or otherwise you have found the faulty module.
If your problem is solved , please click the Accepted Solution button
I am not an HP Employee, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)