05-26-2016 02:55 AM
I bought this laptop 2nd hand but it has bios password which the seller also doesn't know, Is there way to reset the bios password? I tried pressing enter 3 times when it prompt for password but it only shows that the system was locked and press power to restart and does not give any code, How can I solve this problem?
05-26-2016 02:59 AM
Unfortunately, business machines such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models - they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial No. and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.
If you Contact HP Business support they may be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.
****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****
Windows Insider MVP
- HP PCs - How to Change or Reset Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)