cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Disk completely full... with only windows 10?

HP Recommended
W2M55UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every week or so, Windows 10 updates itself. After just a few weeks, it was starting to fill the entire hard drive (27.8G). Now it refuses to install any updates or even security patches because the disk is full.

Of that 27GB, my own files are probably 1MB at most. It's all Windows 10, as far as I can tell.

I figured out how to delete temporary files, but Windows keeps installing more and more of them. I just got off line with an HP technician who ran a disk cleanup utility, which freed up NO space. He then gave up and told me to call the "friends team."

That technician decided my problem is probably in software, and it's going to cost me $50 for them to address it.

Does anybody have any experience like this? Is this notebook simply designed to fail?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
43,216 43,005 6,889 12,068
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No but its designed to need constant vigilance to keep it from filling up the hard drive. We get tons of these questions as do some other laptop makers who sold these low powered "Cloudbooks" with 32 gig non-upgradeable eMMC storage disks. Lenovo also sells them, as well as others. Microsoft offered dirt cheap licenses for these and they are designed to compete with Chromebooks, which also have very limited storage. You are supposed to keep all your files in the cloud but I don't think anyone anticipated what a hassle these things were going to become. 

Things you can do include getting an SD card and inserting it to use for additional storage. Move the "Library" files over to the SD card (downloads, music, movies, pictures, documents). Also turn off hibernation and limit the size of the "virtual memory (swap)" file. Make a disk of the latest version of Windows 10 and do a clean install. Make sure you have no Windows.old file at the root of the C:\ drive. Windows 10 actually can be made to occupy no more than about 20 gigs so it is going to be tight at best. 

There is a wealth of information about this on the internet. Just google "running Windows 10 in 32 gigs of hard drive space".

Post back with any more questions. 

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Even if I move every file to a flash drive, that won't touch the problem. I only have about a dozen files, totaling less than 1MB - not 1GB. A few PDFs and txt files.

I don't see Windows.old, but I do have both a Windows folder (21.6 GB) and a Windows10Upgrade folder, at 3.4 GB. I don't suppose it's safe to delete either?

As far as I can tell, my computer can't work for more than about 6 months without an upgrade. I wish I had known to avoid HP products. Do you think they could put a warning label on the packaging?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are not opening your mind here. This is not an "HP" problem. This is an industry driven by Microsoft and this was an industry decision to offer these things. Your error was buying a $225 laptop. The fact that it had 32 gigs of storage was prominently mentioned, I assure you. 

Turning off hibernation will give you free space equal to the amount of memory in the system. Have you done that? Reducing the size of the swap file can give you back another 2 gigs or so. 

You can also turn off backups or vastly reduce the portion of the hard drive set aside for restore points. There is no magic one click bullet we can give you here. Work with us. You are far from alone with this problem and others have worked through it with some patience. 

Make sure when you do the disk cleanup you also run the advanced parts of it i.e clean up system files. 

The Windows 10 Upgrade folder is just how much it managed to download before it filled up so you can delete it but the whole thing will fill up again when you try to update. That is actually the thing you need to make space to accomodate. 

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe my error was buying a $225 laptop. It was offered for sale as if it was a real computer - maybe not a high-end gaming machine, but my needs are extremely simple. I'll try your suggestions, maybe I can squeeze out a few more months, but it sounds like there's no permanent solution besides throwing the computer away. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is what I am trying to keep you from having to do. It is a real computer just a very limited one. As I said I wish there were a one click magic bullet but there is not. 

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope. Hibernation was off from the factory. I've purged temp files a bunch of times. The only thing I haven's deleted is about 2GB of essential software. My company website requires Chrome, and I do need to open the occasional PPT or PDF. I have no backups. I have no restore points. I can't find anything else to remove.

Even if I deleted all of the software and all of my files, there still wouldn't be enough room for the update. This computer simply cannot run Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reduce the size of the paging file:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2864547/manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows.html

Set initial and maximum to 1024.

Have you looked at system protection? 

You can disable it entirely:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reduce-space-windows-10-system-restore-uses/

If none of these is available or already set very low then you are right. Your only other option is a clean install using the latest Windows 10 and just don't ever update. Or throw it away. Or give it to some kid like maybe your nephew you don't really like very much. 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation