Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (414 Views)

Fresh install of Windows 10 removed HP Recovery Manager - Have I messed up?

Product Name: HP PAVILION 15-CK093ND
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

Today my HP Pavilion 15-CK093ND arrived.  I really like the laptop, but was annoyed at the amount of stuff coming pre installed. 

I used the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to download the latest Windows 10 Home x64 build so I should have a fresh Windows for school. 

I went into the setup and removed the Windows partition. The only thing I didn't touch was the Windows RE Tools partition, RECOVERY and the DATA.

I suggessfully installed it, but the problem I have right now is that I can't use recovery. I don't have a RECOVERY MANAGER option when I go into F11. 

I sadly didn't do a full back up to a usb or disk because people told me I would be fine as long as I kept the RE partition, RECOVERY intact.

Am I looking something over, or have I ...messed up. Let's say I have indeed messed up, would buying the Recovery Kit for my laptop give me the ability to restory all the partition on the laptop, or is the Recovery kit only for drivers.

Pretty bumped this happened because I really like the laptop. Hope the forum can help me.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (400 Views)

Re: Fresh install of Windows 10 removed HP Recovery Manager - Have I messed up?

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Yes, when you clean-installed W10, you lost all ability to use the recovery manager program, which is not available for download.

IMO, you may as well delete the recovery partition and extend your C:\ drive to use the unallocated space.

If you order recovery media from HP, it should restore the hard drive to its 'out of the box' condition.

You may not like how much HP is going to charge you for the recovery media.

Folks are telling me it costs around $35 - $50 nowadays depending on the model PC.

So, you may just want to make a system image and rescue media using a free backup utility like Macrium Reflect, and use that to restore W10 if you need to, or keep using the Media Creation tool for clean installs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation