Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP victus 16
Microsoft Windows 11

hi all,

recently i have noticed how my fps randomly dips mid way through a game. i looked into somethings and used gpu-z to see perfcap reason and noticed how it went from pwr to idle mid game. i have used ddu(display driver uninstaller) to reset and clean all drivers and updated them to the latest , i also ran a virus scan and nothing came back, also checked for corruped files but that didnt help either. 

i am able to get a 120fps in warzone but mid game my fps would drop to below 30. i have monitored the gpu wattage and noticed how it dropped from 95w down to 30w and perfcap reason went from pwr to idle. I have noticed no thermal throttling. i have also noticed this happening in benchmarks after a while. i would be using a gpu intensive app and after 15 ish minutes of use the gpu would go into idle.

i have updated bios to latest and all drivers, i have also checked power plans and set it to high performance, also set nvidia control panel power management to highest and made sure it was set on performance mode in omen hub, but no luck.

any suggestions?

thanks

specs:

laptop - hp victus 16

gpu- rtx 3060 95w mobile

cpu - r7 5800H

ram -16GB

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Shrey_999

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

I see that you are facing FPS drop while gaming-related issues on your system. Do not worry, we are here to fix it.

May I know from when are you facing this issue?

Did you make any hardware or software-related changes to it?

This is absolutely normal. They do this to conserve battery power and heat, no matter what settings you have in the system's power options. You can change this to allow the graphics card to perform a little better on battery only by changing the settings in the NVIDIA control panel instead.

May I know what happens when you play games while your system is charging? 

I recommend you perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 
  • Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 
  • click Apply and ok...this should do the trick.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.