Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 4740s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

G'day,

After restarting my ProBook yesterday, as soon as the background graphic for the logon screen appears, the computer starts "screaming" and does not stop. The only way to use the computer is to have some dummy ear buds connected. I have started it in Safe Mode, and no screaming. It appears to have something to do with the logon process.

I have scanned it for malware and viruses using AVG Internet Security, plus using ClamWin, and both say the computer is clean and free of any viruses or malware.

I have had to contemplate doing a System Recovery (which I dread)  as it means reinstalling a whole lot of software including AutoCAD, Bluebeam, QuickBooks Pro, etc. Some of these require elaborate procedures to hand back licences before the recovery and then going through the process of reauthentication the new install. Others mean you have to answer a whle not of questions as to why this has happened, and why you are not installing the latest version. Explaining all the customisation that would need to be changed and then a fresh update in a few weeks (end of April).

So, first, is there any way to trace what is causing this and a guess as to whether a System Recovery will address it?

There was only one restore point but it did not change anything.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would start by reinstalling the audio drivers. Go in to the device manager/ locate the audio device/s and uninstall all the devices. Then reboot the computer. It should reinstall all the drivers.

To get to device manager right click on the windows icon and chose devce manager from the list. Once open look for the audio  inputs and outputs. Expand it and uninstall everything in the list.

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I would start by reinstalling the audio drivers. Go in to the device manager/ locate the audio device/s and uninstall all the devices. Then reboot the computer. It should reinstall all the drivers.

To get to device manager right click on the windows icon and chose devce manager from the list. Once open look for the audio  inputs and outputs. Expand it and uninstall everything in the list.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for that. I removed the audio devices and then uninstalled the audio components in Device Manager, then left it to reboot. When I returned a while later, I found I did not need my ear buds plugged into the socket to stop the deafening screaming. Oh, and the sound works!

Thanks again. It saved me a whole heap of problems 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.