Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13t-4000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP Spectre x360 convertible laptop with an intel(R) core i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40 GHz with 8GB RAM on Windows 8.1 pro. I recently change my hard drive from 128 to 512 gb

When I check the task manager I see that I have 

Maximum Speed: 2.40 GHz

Sockets: 1

Cores: 2

Logical Processors: 4

Virtualization Disabled

Hyper V support: Yes

L1  cache: 128KB

L2  cache: 512 MB

L3 cache: 4.0 MB

When I run msconfig and under the tab button of boot (in the advanced seetings) I have checked the maximum number of procesors which is shown to be 4 instead of 7. 

So... the question is:

Why I do not see 7 cores in the task manager and/or the mcconfiq/boot tab?

What am I doing wrong?

Should I enable virtualization at the bio?

Recently I updated my bios from the hp website.

Thank you very much

Chris

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

What your seeing is actually correct for the 5500U - it's a dual core processor with hyperthreading ( so showing 4 logical processors ).  The specifications for this processor can be seen Here.

I'm actually using  machine with the same processor - see the image below.  Note: as shown in the image below, the box next to 'Number of processors' on the Boot Advanced Options menu should not be checked.

Intel 5500U.PNG

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K

Thank you VERY much for your prompt reply

so what am I seeing is four cores, when it really means i7. Then why they do not have i4 instead i7 at the CPU specifications? Why is this difference? Please excuse my ingorance on this.

With reference to the image: I thought if I have it checked at the Boot Advanced Options menu then the CPU calculation and the boot speed will be faster.

Why this should not be checked? 

Again your reply and views are much appreciated.

Chris

HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

You're welcome :generic:

The term i7 is actually just a brand name and not an indication of the number of cores on the processor.

Referring back to the image and why the 'Number of processors' should not be checked is due to the following.

If you actually opened your notebook up, you would find just 1 physical processor

On this 1 processor are 2 processing cores.

Due to hyperthreading, each of these 2 cores can accept 2 instructions at the same time - this is why you see 4 entries in Device Manager because as far as the operating system is concerned, it can issue 4 instructions at the same time.

The 'Number of processors' option on the Boot Advanced Menu is actually referring to the number of physical processors present ( not the number of cores ) - it should not be checked as the default is 1 physical processor which is what your notebook has.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Wow that is interesing I have a DELL 502X with i7 (4th gen) where I can actully see seven cores...

That is interesting! I guess it is something that has to do with the 5th gen of Intell processors?

Thank you again for your replies. They were really enlightening. I promise this is the last question

Cheers

Chris

HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

You're more than welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

i have the same procesor and can only see in task manager 2 cores and 3 logical procesors. Any sugestions ?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.