Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Laptop HP Drive Encryption no user!

HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Suddenly when restart not users appear in "HP Drive Encription" Screen.

Restaring  laptop HP Drive Encryption no user! even restarting

Turn ON/ ESC/ Stratup Menu/ F7 HP SpareKey/ Select User for HP SpareKey Recovery/ Anwer HP SpareKey Questions: DONE and returns the same screen "SELECT USER TO LOGIN", And Not users available.

Select User for HP SpareKey Recovery/ Enter BIOS Admin Password: not enrolled 

SpareKey Recovery not available on USBs or Cloud

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,648 9,555 771 3,551
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @is_mtdm

Would you please take a picture of your screen, all screens you see in BIOS and power-on screens. Use your camera or smartphone.

Please, upload these picture here as attachments in your next reply *or* upload them on some online Cloud storage - Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox,etc...

**** I would appreciate if you click the White Thumb-up+ for encouragement and kudos ****
**** Please mark this post as an accepted solution if it helps ****

Your feedback and update are important.
Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** My location: Europe *** Expert Volunteer
Check out We Make it Matter
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ENCRYPTIONp.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,648 9,555 771 3,551
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this is not how it is designed to work originally.

What happens if you press "Recovery" button ?

Is there an option for you to try to move the mouse in the obvious white space and somehow select an user if there but just hidden. This is like a last resort step...

Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** My location: Europe *** Expert Volunteer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just requires the RECOVERY KEY, we can format HD but we are concerned about the stability of this WINMAGIC encrypted soft, because we have more laptops with this.Recovery_Key.jpg

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,648 9,555 771 3,551
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @is_mtdm

Not sure what caused this - any recently applied Windows update, HP update or else ?

Yes, your only option left is to format the HDD and reinstall the operating system.

As far as I know, there is no advanced support for this program offered and it comes as is.

Usually, it is stable and I have used it a lot, never came across such an issue. Actually, it has only been reported once in the forums here. You are the second person to report such an issue in the past years.

HP Drive Encryption is a full disk encryption. No full disk encryption vendor can guarantee recovery - they guarantee some sort of advanced security.

I use on a daily bases other even more secure features - HP Drive Lock >> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03453264.pdf

I am sorry for the issues you experienced with this.

Bitlocker (part of Windows Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise editions offers more recovery options but is easier to bypass).

**** I would appreciate if you click the White Thumb-up+ for encouragement and kudos ****
**** Please mark this post as an accepted solution if it helps ****

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation